Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guess what I found? >

Guess what I found?

Guess what I found?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....
I have a little tip. If you put noodles, rice and flour in the freezer for 2 weeks, you will never get these little critters. I'm trying it out now myself. My friend says it really works. :D
Also, use the bayleaves.
It works wonderfully!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Reminds me of the old metal Premium soda cracker can that I still keep my crackers in. I don't think they have used these in many years and I wouldn't part with mine.
I bought one of those in 1978 and I still use it, keeps the crackers nice and fresh. :-D
Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM

wow the memories
Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....
You are so right. I called Mahatma the other day about that on a bag of rice that had another year to go on it's expiration date.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM

I bake bread twice a week and store large amounts of different flours. I seal them in plastic bags with 3-4 bay leaves, freeze them for 2-3 days, store in a dark, dry place and have never had a bug of any type. I have flour that is 4 years old and still makes very fine bread. I try to get Amish flour when I can as it is more pure and less fine and makes better bread. You can do the same for beans. Oh yes, label and date so you can rotate, I take from the back and store from the front.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I always store my rice and flours in the freezer. It kills the bug
eggs and they don't hatch. I use whole wheat flours and have found that storing it in the freezer prevents it from going rancid.
Yup you just have to warm it up before using! :-D