Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guidelines 4 Quilting Prep Tool >

Guidelines 4 Quilting Prep Tool

Guidelines 4 Quilting Prep Tool

Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Has anyone used this tool? It looks fabulous, but looks can be deceiving! Any feedback would be appreciated. Is it worth the $50 price? Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM

I want to know too
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM

I just looked it up on the net. I would rather keep one of my reference sheets and not buy that product. I can measure with my current rulers the 1/4" for the seam allowances, the 7/8" for the HST, and the 1 1/4" for the QST.

There are so many other great tools out there that I would much rather have.

I bought the Alto's QuiltCut2 and use it so often that I store it under my TV cabinet in the living room. [I made a black rip stop nylon drape to cover it up so it doesn't look out of place.

ali
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM

It sounds pretty good, but I personally am too tight to want to buy it. If you have the money and you think it will help you, then I say go ahead and go for it.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM

I received the set (ruler, seam allowance additions, and prep tool) as a gift a couple of years ago, but haven't been very succesful with it.

The ruler has a strip that grips the fabric, which is good, but the seam allowance additions stick out from the side of the ruler and there is nothing gripping the fabric under them. I could see the fabric pulling along with the rotary blade. Part of the problem was, my rotary blade was getting dull so I got a new one, but I haven't wanted to use the seam allowance additions again after cutting crooked fabric strips.

The prep tool by itself doesn't cost too much - about $12. I've used it for measuring 1/4". I keep forgetting to use it for cutting off triangle points! Probably lots of quilters have their own ways of doing things without this tool.