Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Age Limit??? >

Guild Age Limit???

Guild Age Limit???

Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 AM

I would think that bringing children is a "policy" and not a by-law. By-laws are rules that need to be enforced and often have consequences. A policy leaves some room for circumstance that are unusual. Often a simple quiet word form the president or leader is enough to check out why a child is in attendance and to reiterate the policy of children not attending meetings.

My guild is informal enough that we do not have by-laws. But that said, we highly suggest that children not attend quilt meetings that have a teaching/instruction component each month. We do encourage young sewers to come to quilt work days and even retreats. I had to bring my out-of-state visiting grand children 8 and 9 years old to a guild meeting and it worked out fine that one time. They were in the back of the room and busy with quiet activities. Not a problem. But I got enough "looks" to know this should not be a regular practice.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM

One way to word it would be that because of the tools and equipment (perhaps insurance reasons), only guild members may attend. You may also like to jokingly say that this is an opportunity for folks to have quiet time without their families. Imposing an age limit can put out a mean image that I'm sure you do not want to convey. Not in the bylaws, but as a part of an info memo to potential members, you might suggest an local hourly daycare or possible babysitters (guild member's family member?). This conveys the message of wanting to be inclusive of younger members while maintaining an 'adult' atmosphere. As older members we really need to work at promoting the craft with the youngins'.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I doubt that you can legally do that. It would be discrimination. I just think if a child is present the parent needs to keep the kid with them at ALL times.
I disagree.
Discrimination would only apply if the child/other person was wanting to participate.
Our longarm group has two requirements - that you live within the state of SC, and that you "quilt on rails", meaning your machine can be a longarm/mid-arm/DSM on a frame.
That's not discrimination, that's defining the group's parameters.

Back to the original post...
There is a point of just plain common courtesy. Even within my LA group, we have a couple of people who have "side conversations" that are disruptive to the rest of the group. That's just plain RUDE!!

While I sympathize with those women with small children wanting to get out of the house and socialize with other quilters, that doesn't mean they need to inflict rowdy children on everyone else. Again, that's just RUDE!!

As someone else commented, "Dad" would not bring the kiddos along on his golf time.

When my daughter was younger (11 or 12 or so), I brought her to the guild meetings with me. Not because I didn't have a "sitter", but because she was interested and wanted to see other people who were quilting, and not just "Mom".

You will need to make some kind of generic "announcement", taking particular care not to "point fingers" but still making it crystal clear that this time together has specific intentions, and is not just a "general get-together" social time.
Hopefully, the mother's will be more considerate about not bringing children who have no interest in quilting.

As a side note about the age of interest for kids in quilting.... I personally began my interest at 4 years old. My kids (daughter AND son) both took an interest at around age 6... including the fact that since my hand-quilting frame was in the livingroom, neighborhood kids would tromp through the house, and seeing the frame, say "What's that?" Both my daughter and my son would show off "how to quilt". At one point, there were 4 little boys (about 7 years old) lined up in front of the frame, stitching. That quilt is well-used, and well-loved, even though some of the stitches are an inch long.

I think if you put the quilt out there, without being critical of the "quality" of the work, the sheer curiosity inherent in children will have them stitching.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM

If it were my guild, it would be appropriate to bring up these issues. If we had "secondary" conversations going on during meetings, the speaker would just stop talking - wait until the individuals who were talking concluded, then begin again. Other times, we would just speak out and ask them to wait until break time. Other times, the speaker would state, "we need to have one meeting at a time going on."
As for young children at guild, it could present a safety hazard if sewing/scissors are being used, and that would be a good way to insert something in the by-laws regarding safety, and that it young children are not to be brought to meetings.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Strange, all this discussion about unruly kids. Children sit in church every Sunday without being unruly.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM

what about doing something like "any guests of members planning on attending a guild meeting or event needs to have informed the guild a minimum of "X" days/week in advance". That way, it isn't used as a last minute baby-sitting scenario, and will still allow members to bring truly interested people/children along. When they call in to "inform", at that time they can be told, in private, they are certainly allowed, but will need to be respectful with regard to noise. Then they can also be told, not all conversations at an adult meeting are meant to be overheard by little ears, and that it is not up to the guild to curb any conversations to be geared around small kids. That way the person bring the child knows there may be adult language, and etiquette is expected.

Just my .02.

I can see both sides of the spectrum here
Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 AM

My guild has had members aged 7 and 8 over the years. They came to meetings with a parent or grandparent who was also a member. These young members make quilts and participate in some guild events. I have enjoyed watching them grow into adulthood. If my granddaughter lived closer I would have loved to have her participate.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM

Beach quilter, I agree, young children can be interested and attentive.

Originally Posted by beach quilter View Post
I see more cranky disruptive old people than kids. Prohibit the behavior, not the age.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM

I totally agree with prohibiting behavior, not age. People don't like having to confront someone behaving poorly so they frequently add rule after rule. If an older person is talking all the time and disturbing other people, let the guild president say something. If a child is running around and disturbing others, let the president say something. The rule,should just be "listen to the speaker (if there is one) and do your sewing without distracting others.

We we have a few young women in our ASG meeting with young children. We haven't had an issue, probably because the expectation is pretty well established. I have heard our leader, a former school teacher BTW, call out adults who were talking to,each other loud enough to disturb others. Good for her!

Pam
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM

To me safety and disruptive behavior are the real issues. Age is irrelevant given the large numbers of grandmothers and aunts who have significant roles in the lives of y oung children.