Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild for hand quilters >

Guild for hand quilters

Guild for hand quilters

Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Default Guild for hand quilters

Does anyone in NC know of such a guild? I'm a member of a guild now and the ladies are wonderful but they all machine piece and send their work out to a LAer. It's hard for me to get excited about meetings when all the presentations are for machines. I can't share anything with them. I would love to find a group of ladies who hand piece and hand quilt. I'm relatively new at this and would love to have some direction and tips on hand quilting. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Perhaps this list be might be helpful in your search.
http://www.ncqsi.org/ncguilds.html
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm surprised to hear this as, no matter how many guilds I've been a member in, in several states, I've ne3ver come across a guild that was ALL machine work.

might try talking to your guild president or membership chairperson about how the programs they present each month are chosen.
If there is a newsletter, you might ask to insert a request for a brief meeting following the next guild meeting in which any members who handquilt or applique could meet each other.
You might bite the bullet and show your work at each Show and Tell as a way of introducing the handwork subject and ask for critiques/suggestions and ask if anyone else does hand work.....piecing, quilting, applique, redwork.

I hope you find your way and the support you need. If you'd like to make your way up Hwy. 29 north to Lynchburg, VA, on the first or third Fridays of each month, Patches and Pieces Guilt Club will welcome you with open arms.

Jan in VA
Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Unlike Jan, I encountered the same problem as you. So I went to a local quilt shop, asked for a time I could use a room for quilt meetings and started my own group. I put out flyers and posted in their news letter. That was in 1998. I got a huge response. I was really surprised. We are most of us still together today. We are a hand appliqué group and many of us hand quilt.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 AM

I don't have the time for guild mtgs now - will have to wait for retirement some day, but I get what you mean. I also handquilt and sometime I feel like I'm a lone bird out there. I was going to suggest putting something out there to see who bites.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 AM

Thanks for your reply, Jan. I joined the Guild in July and took one of my quilts for Show & Tell. It's going to be displayed at our Quilt Show next Saturday. One of the ladies commented that at the last quilt show they had been asked why there weren't any hand quilted items there. So maybe there is some hope that some hand quilters will be at the show and decide to join the Guild. If not, I may take the suggestion about starting one at our LQS. I asked last time I was in if they had customers who were hand quilters and they said they didn't but who know......