Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Table Set Up >

Guild Table Set Up

Guild Table Set Up

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Guild Table Set Up

We have a quilting guild with 33 members. Usually around 18-25 members each month that bring their machines to sew since we are a teaching guild. We are having a bit of a problem with how the tables are set up. We have several rectangle tables and a few round ones. Right now the room is set up with the tables against the walls so the middle of the room is empty. Several members do not like it this way and I was told that it was changed to keep the electrical cords from being tripped over etc. People say we are so far away from each other that there isn't the interaction we used to have, some have complained that it seems cliquish because members sit in the same spot each month. I know there will always be those that complain, but I was wondering if there could be any suggestions to this dilemma. We do have rubber to put over the cords to try to prevent tripping. It does seem that we are not as cohesive as a group with the current set up.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Could you change the set up so the tables/machines are set up like a big "U" shape, with members facing into the centre?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:20 PM

I would hate that set up. How to see the teacher? The U shape is a much better idea. Everyone can see the teacher in the center and see each other. Even rows all facing the font would be better.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM

I think group quilting is about learning and friendship. There will always be cliques.

The fellowship hall has very few outlets and most are along one wall. So the room is set up with long rows of tables connected together. The tables are 2 back to back. The teacher can stand to the side.

The library is smaller and our group is much smaller so we usually have a U or lg square shape away from the wall. The cords go across the floor.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM

I would pull the tables away from the wall so your back is to the wall and you face the other quilters. You can use duct tape to cover the cords.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

We put duct tape the whole length of the cords when they are bare on the floor. No one can trip over them when taped down. This is proper OSHA way to have cords strung across a work area on the floor. I don't know how it will work on carpet if any.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:01 PM

our guild work area also only has electrical plugs along the walls. We invested in several extension cords that allow 4 plus and are in a retracting container. We set the tables up so that that 2 tables face each other (so 4 people facing one another). We also put the round tables in the center for cutting and layout. While we also have groups that always sit together, there is alot of circulation, too. And when we eat together (bag lunches) we sit at the round tables and gab.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:04 AM

You might be able to put a rubber backed rug over the cords. That way it is a quick set-up / take-down with no marks on the carpet.
Mike
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM

Can you hang the cord from the ceiling and drop it over the table.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 AM

By placing the tables at right angles to the wall, 2 facing each other, no one is tripping over cords as they would run under the tables.