Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilty? >

Guilty?

Guilty?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 AM

I usually see something I can use but I don't always buy. There are some shops that just don't carry what I like. I have two shops that are close to me and I try to buy from them because I want them to stay in business. I love going to the quilt store and looking at the material and feeling it and all that goes with it. When I shop on line I am never sure of the color or the feel of the material.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson View Post
Please what is an LQS?
Local Quilt Shop.
A shop locally owned, not one of the big chain stores that sell fabric.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I think wise shop owners stock things that can be traveler's keepsakes. I was recently in Moab, Utah. The store, Its Sew Moab, had stained glass patterns for the attractions in Arches National Park. Nice keepsake that will take only a short amount of time to make. It could be purchased as pattern or a kit. Of course, I bought one. But to buy stuff that I can buy at home? Probably not.
Yes, this is me, too. I love finding LOCAL items to take home - whether it's locally themed fabric, a custom pattern, or even just a little sewing tin with something "local" stenciled on it. And I love when I find a shop that still has some of their Row by Row license plates on hand, even if they're from the prior year. I wish every shop sold those plates (or something similar), all year long, so I could collect them from everywhere I went. Then I'd never leave any LQS empty-handed and never have to feel guilty.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 AM

No, not at all. There's more than one reason people go out of business. Some owners just did not anticipate the work and headaches that could come with owning your own business. Some just didn't have any business experience to start with. Some didn't realize you usually don't show a profit until the 4th or 5th year and that you have to have the enough capital to run your business until then. One LQS owner I use to love to frequent simply walked over, locked the door and left after the owner of the building came in and informed her she was raising her rent yet again. Some owners try to bleed the last red cent out of a piece of fabric, never offer sales and are rude to customers. And, yes, I went to one who only stocked the fabrics she liked so if your tastes didn't mirror hers you never found what you needed. Currently I drive 76 miles round trip to an absolutely
delightful LQS who, also, sells fabric and notions on- line. The staff is gracious, accommodating and friendly and their fabric and notions, etc. sell out really quickly which enables her to have new fabric lines frequent. But, no, as others have said, if I go into other LQS's I would not feel obligated buy anything if there's nothing there I want or need.