Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a Duh quilting moment lately?

I sure did! I had purchased 4 of those cloth walmart grocery bags (in black). I took a black sharpie and lined through the bold "Walmart - Paper or Plastic - Neither" part so the whole bag was black. For several weeks I have only been able to find one of them. Well, finally they surfaced when DH was cleaning out his truck. He works for an oil company and gets bags all the time. I really wanted these to use for grocery shopping. So, I gathered them all up and decided I will add a quilt block of some sort so they (DH and Sons) will leave them alone. I have the pieces cut out - laying out on the kitchen counter for maybe four days. I finally sew them up, attach them to bags and am ready to applique them securely down. My youngest son (16) and I go out. Come home and he sees the four bags on the counter and asks "Mom why did you put Swastikas on those bags?" "What, no honey thats a fence rail block" (I liked the green so I made a fourth strip using the green again. Oh, dang I can see it! Why didn't I see it before?) He says, "Wow, my moms gonna carry out her groceries from Walmart in Swastika bags." OMG! What have I done? I couldn't see it before, now it's all I can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's hilarious!! I never would have noticed it if your son didn't. :D
    Love your idea though!!

HA HA HA I did not see it until you mentioned it! Kids are amazing!

i see it too!! well hate to tell you but you'll always see it and be bothered by it so you'd better choose a different block. how about a log cabin block?
    anyway, you have an excellent idea going on here and i think i'll give it a try myself!! thanks for the inspiration.

Wow. I would never have noticed that either. Your son is very observant.

I had to squint, open and squint again before I could see it, but you know....your son is probably right. There would be someone at the grocery store who would see it first glimpse, just like your son did. LOL Another learning experience. :)

Oh - stop it already! It's a rail fence block on point and it's very pretty. Great idea. I'm hoping that very few of us in 2010 would jump to that conclusion. It's long past - though we remember the pain of others. Enjoy your bags. Teenagers are probably just becoming aware of the huge mistakes of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    I sure did! I had purchased 4 of those cloth walmart grocery bags (in black). I took a black sharpie and lined through the bold "Walmart - Paper or Plastic - Neither" part so the whole bag was black. For several weeks I have only been able to find one of them. Well, finally they surfaced when DH was cleaning out his truck. He works for an oil company and gets bags all the time. I really wanted these to use for grocery shopping. So, I gathered them all up and decided I will add a quilt block of some sort so they (DH and Sons) will leave them alone. I have the pieces cut out - laying out on the kitchen counter for maybe four days. I finally sew them up, attach them to bags and am ready to applique them securely down. My youngest son (16) and I go out. Come home and he sees the four bags on the counter and asks "Mom why did you put Swastikas on those bags?" "What, no honey thats a fence rail block" (I liked the green so I made a fourth strip using the green again. Oh, dang I can see it! Why didn't I see it before?) He says, "Wow, my moms gonna carry out her groceries from Walmart in Swastika bags." OMG! What have I done? I couldn't see it before, now it's all I can see.
    I tried to camoflage it, but I guess I will always see it now. I can ignore it better this way I think.

A little better anyway!
    Name:  Attachment-74969.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  42.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    i see it too!! well hate to tell you but you'll always see it and be bothered by it so you'd better choose a different block. how about a log cabin block?
    anyway, you have an excellent idea going on here and i think i'll give it a try myself!! thanks for the inspiration.
    It's already heat N bonded down.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful save :wink: With the heart added, they will for sure leave them alone LOL
    Thank you for sharing this idea :D:D:D

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast