Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had To Laugh At Myself!! >

Had To Laugh At Myself!!

Had To Laugh At Myself!!

Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM

My grandmother tried for years to teach me to use a thimble and was totally unsuccessful. She insisted and I resisted. I just cannot keep a metal thimble onnmy finger. I sewed for years without one and pierced my finger countless times. A couple years ago I discovered the Clover silicone thimbles with the metal tip. Yeah! They stay on my finger and I don't even notice I'm wearing one. Many times I've left the sewing room and gone to start dinner only to find out that the thimble is still there when I go to wash my hands. :-)
Old 10-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
To get used to thimble: wear it on finger all day while doing other things...your brain will except it as your fingertip and will not "fight" it when you quilt with it......that's the theory......
This tip really works and is how I teach students to learn to use a thimble.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
One of the online sites sells the Aunt Betsy (i think its called) for the underneath hand. I saw the woman who invented on youtube so I bought one thinking I was going to learn to handquilt. But alas, never did. Maybe someone on the QB has tried it and give you better advice about it.
Just bought Aunt Becky and a Sterling Silver custom fitted thimble for people with long fingernails along with 3 yards of thin batting and good quilting needles. I WILL PRACTICE til I learn how to hand quilt with this method! I hate pricking my finger and it bothers my wrist to "rock" the needle. My daughter started hand quilting a top she made for me then hurt her hands. I want to finish hand quilting it.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM

I have tried several (many) thimbles and could not get use to using it, UNTIL i tried the Clover natural fit leather thimble. it is so soft and fits the whole top joint of my finger. I push with the side of my finger…try it.

Susie
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM

I'm the same way, have many thimbles and find myself using a different finger than the one with the thimble. Been sewing for over 50 years and have never figured or liked using any of them.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I had to force myself to use the finger with the thimble when I first started out. After a while, it became second nature.