Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hairspray >

Hairspray

Hairspray

Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I've also wondered about making baby quilts with nice pristine cotton without the added fire retardant chemicals. Yuk. What to do?
my dad was a textile chemist. he told me that once something was washed in detergent, it removed the flame retardant, so that doesn't matter. it's just a sales gimmick. they were required to use it on government orders for the tent cloth and stuff.
when i was a kid, we were at the lake with another family.. all us kids were doing sparklers (the firework things on a stick) one of the kids jammies caught fire... brand new, flame retardant, never been washed. of course she ran, and it fed the flames... my dad tackled her & dropped her into the lake to make sure the fire was out..then he drove her & her parents to the hospital. she had 2nd degree burns over about 60 % of her body... she had to have multiple surgeries over the years...

so much for flame retardant... just a gimmick to make you feel safer.
But children's clothes are not flame retardant, just sleepwear. My children did not play in their jammies. They had their bath, we read a story and they went to bed. And they got dressed first thing except at Christmas. That was the way I was raised and I guess I followed my Mother's lead. So it seems to me that children have more of a chance of being around flames in their play clothes. Shhhh don't tell the government, they will make another regulation. Do you think China is really using the correct retardant on their fabric?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
. . . Did you know that the propellant in whipped cream is nitrous oxide (laughing gas)?
Maybe that is why I am so happy when eating whipped cream.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by BarbZ
Originally Posted by FranW
I use Aqua Net all the time. It has not seemed to hurt my machine. Note: I do wash every quilt after it is finished and before it is used/gifted/donated!
Fran, Can you pick your fabric up and put it back down likeyou can with the 505 to smooth wrinkles and such? In other words does it stay tacky if you lift the fabric.
Yes, it does. I tried the 505 and honestly did not think it worked any better.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Wow, I never heard of that ! thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM

OK, in summation, you can buy 505. You can buy hairspray. You can use both on fabric. One is made for fabric, one is not. Both have chemicals. Hair has oils, so hair spray washes out. Cotton has no oils. 505 may leave a residue in the quilt. Hairspray will leave a residue in fabric.

I think I've got it.

If I grease my quilt, I can use cheap hairspray, but shampoo will foam in the washer....Got it!

Mwhahahahahaha!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 AM

Hi Amma,
That was just my thought also.
BE A shame to piece a quilt then to save a few pennies the dye run...
kk2000 is great and is 50% off with the notions at JoAnns and goes a long ways and we know it works great
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 AM

myreda
it is the perpelant that is thr same and not ozone friendly....
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 AM

That is just why KK2000 is so nice it goes away on its own or you can touch wit a dry iron and it irons away. Never use water on any temp spray. The KK2000 will become very stickie. If you read the how to use it is a most wonderful tem spray. I even use it for my appliques to get softer appliques.
I use it for my clothesline bowls and baskets too. I use it to apply laces on garments. Great to hold a button place to be stitched... and it is ozone safe and a green product.
Do not have to go outside to use it. No awfulllll smellll.
Try it you will like it Tee Hee

Also if you use the hair spray you need to wash out the chemicals. you don't with the kk2000 it just goes away
Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 AM

Basting, anyone? Pinning from the back side works, too. Both methods are environmentally friendly. As a longarmer, those glues are difficult to work with-the quilt is just too stiff.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Why not try spraying a sample piece with the hairspray, sew on it some, thro in the washer and see what happens. I have tried to get ink out wth hairspray and you have to really spray it on heavy and blot blot blot and sometimes spray again and blot. The ones who have tried it seem to not have trouble with color fading? Its been a very interesting read. So many opinions and idea. Thats what this is all about. So the only thing to do I guess, is try it you might like it.LOLOLOL