Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Half Square Triangles

  1. #1
    Super Member Edie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,361
    Blog Entries
    1
    I do not like to cut triangles! How's that for plain, simple and the truth??? But I love to make, sew and cut the half square triangles. Could someone, for me, tell me how to know. eg., if I am going to make a half square triangle for a 12" block and need 3-1/2" squares, when they are sewn together, cut and pressed they will come out at 3". Ok, I got that! Right? I can't for the life of me figure out how to come up with the measurements for a 6" block, 8" block, 10" block. What size do I make the squares for those size blocks? I sound like a complete idiot, but I just cannot figure it out! HELP! Edie

    PS - For all you Louisianians, Minnesota has arrived! Go Vikes!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,890
    Just now I have started a "Hole in the Barn Door" quilt, that calls for half square triangles. I noticed that it calls for the squares to be 4 7/8 in order to match up with a 4 1/2 piece next to it. This would mean add 3/8 inch to the square that will be cut to a triangle. I am pretty sure that this would hold true for any size, but just to be sure, let some of the more experienced than me, back this up before you start cutting. :-)

  3. #3
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,023
    Blog Entries
    1
    I had 1 inch to the finished size I want the square to be. For a HST that needs to be 3.5 inches, I cut two squares at 4.5 inches. I sew 1/4 inch on each side of the diagonal, cut and press. Then I square it back up.

    There is a bit to trim, but I never end up short. Maybe when I'm a grown up quilter instead of a Wanna_B I won't have to allow so much fudge room.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,840
    Blog Entries
    1
    let me see if i can find a graph for you..i know i have one for setting triangles..

  5. #5
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,113
    If you use the Quilt in a Day triangle sq up ruler you will get measurements for all sizes of HST and quarter triangles.
    Very easy to do and you only make one cut to square up your triangles. And you can make 8 at a time. It was the best investment I ever made. Love El Burns methods.

  6. #6
    Quiltsbybarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    156
    A half square triangle square is cut 7/8" larger than the finished square. For example, your half square triangles finish at 8" so your starting square would be 8 7/8". Draw a line down the center on the wrong side, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, cut on the line, press toward the dark. The square SHOULD now measure 8 1/2" because of seam allowances.

    BUT, I always cut mine to 9" and square them up. By this I mean, I would sew my pairs of triangles together and then trim them to a perfect 8 1/2" to finish at 8" after seam allowances. This is a lot more accurate and in the end you will be a lot happier with your quilt.

  7. #7
    Lilaciris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clinton Township, MIchigan
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    let me see if i can find a graph for you..i know i have one for setting triangles..
    I found this one:

    http://www.karencombs.com/setting_triang.htm

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,840
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
    A half square triangle square is cut 7/8" larger than the finished square. For example, your half square triangles finish at 8" so your starting square would be 8 7/8". Draw a line down the center on the wrong side, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, cut on the line, press toward the dark. The square SHOULD now measure 8 1/2" because of seam allowances.

    BUT, I always cut mine to 9" and square them up. By this I mean, I would sew my pairs of triangles together and then trim them to a perfect 8 1/2" to finish at 8" after seam allowances. This is a lot more accurate and in the end you will be a lot happier with your quilt.
    Exacty how i do it..cut up to the next inch. so much simpler..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    479
    Check out this link - it has wonderful illustrations to make it simple to get the HST sizes you need.

    http://www.karencombs.com/formulas_for_quilters.htm

    Good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by erhausfrau
    I do not like to cut triangles! How's that for plain, simple and the truth??? But I love to make, sew and cut the half square triangles. Could someone, for me, tell me how to know. eg., if I am going to make a half square triangle for a 12" block and need 3-1/2" squares, when they are sewn together, cut and pressed they will come out at 3". Ok, I got that! Right? I can't for the life of me figure out how to come up with the measurements for a 6" block, 8" block, 10" block. What size do I make the squares for those size blocks? I sound like a complete idiot, but I just cannot figure it out! HELP! Edie

    PS - For all you Louisianians, Minnesota has arrived! Go Vikes!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,113
    I posted this before but it is such a great method. For 2 1/2 inch HST cut two fabric squares 6 inchs. For 3 1/2 cut the squares 8 inchs. You can see that each size is a 2 inch difference. Then you draw an x from the corners. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the lines. Press to set stitchs then measure in from both sides half of the square (for 6 inch sq it is 3 in) and cut in half both ways + . Dont move block, now cut on the drawn lines and you will have 8 HST. Use the Quilt in a Day trianle square up ruler if you only want to make one cut to square up. Otherwise square up as usual. With the ruler you lay the ruler line on the stitch line before opening the block and make one cut. Perfect HST every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.