Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancock Fabrics Files for Chapter 11 Reorganization >

Hancock Fabrics Files for Chapter 11 Reorganization

Hancock Fabrics Files for Chapter 11 Reorganization

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....lar&id=976234&

Has anyone else heard about this and wonder if there will be some good sales that will come out of it? This was back in 2007.

Linda
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM

Yes, I believe it was discussed here at the time.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I read on the bottom of their website that they were forced into having a sale, by the courts, as part of their court order :roll: and that part of the issue was they printed the customers credit card numbers out on the receipts given to the customers. The number should only be printed on the stores copies, so that no one can see or have access to your numbers. I do not think that this law suit is soley why they are filing bankruptcy, though.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Here is the Hancocks Class Action Settlement Statement....... I now make sure I check all of my receipts to make sure only the first 4 digits of my credit or debit card numbers are printed on them, the others should not be there or represented by a symbol.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/notice.jsp
Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM

I've got a Hancock Fabrics near me and I don't care for it. I buy certain items from there, but their fabric is marginal.

And furthermore, the employees at the particular store by me are so ATROCIOUS, it's a drag to have to shop there. They have the worst attitudes. They look at you standing at the cash register and don't come up to ring up your purchase. This happened just the other day. A lady was standing at the cash register and ringing the bell. An employee was putting items back on the shelf and didn't even respond. Then I heard a voice from somewhere in the store calling, "Somebody get that!"

And after a minute, nobody "got that," and then I heard that same voice call a certain name and told her to cover the cash register. At which point, the lady I saw putting the items back on the shelf dragged herself up there.

Then I was trying to buy a yard of some fabric, but the line was so slow I had to leave for a job. I had to leave that yard of fabric with the lady and ask her to keep it for me so I could come back and buy it after my job. I watched her put it under the counter and I left.

When I went back, I got a different lady and told her that the lady put a yard of fabric under the counter for me to come back for. Of course it wasn't there. The lady said it wasn't there. I said I saw her put it there! She said, "What part of it's not there don't you understand?"

I was so mad. I was ready to write corporate a letter about that grievous remark.

But, I didn't.

If they close the store by me, I don't see any of the employees there giving a darn. They all act like they hate their jobs as it is.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:02 PM

They closed thier store here in Phoenix, AZ.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Speaking to AMMA's comments about checking receipts for the 4 digit numbers, I recently learned something very interesting.

I made reservations at a motel in WV where I will stay when I go visit my Dad next month. I was asked to call back about 11:30 P.M., which I did and talked to the night clerk.

Warning! He told me that when he entered my credit card number in the computer, NO ONE CAN RETRIEVE IT! OK, so far so good. He cautioned me, that when I check out I should declne to give them my credit card again because this time they would have a paper copy of my number. The problem is they have had a lot of reports of credit cards numbers being used and they were able to trace them to that motel. That tells me their employees are not exactly honest. How they are addressing it at that end, I don't know. but at this point in time we all need to be mindful of handing over the credit card and watch what numbers occur on receipts.

After having been told all this, I realized it was after my visit there in January that my credit card was compromised, and charges were made in Japan, using my number.

And how many other places are not handling our personal information in a private manner? Hancock is probably not the only one!

Everyone needs to be very diligent these days.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:14 PM

I wondered if anyone else had that problem at Hancocks. Evidently it happens all over. I left a store once too because no one would help me and they acted as if they didn't really care anyway!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 PM

One of the stores by us moved last year to a new, larger location. I wouldn't think they'd do that if they were shutting down, right?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 AM

I'm surprised that Hancock has stayed in business as long as it has. The last three times I've been to my Hancock's illustrates my point: 1. overcharged a small amount but caught it before I left the store; 2. overcharged $20 but didn't notice it until I got all the way home; 3. Had the employee cut me a length of fabric that was on the table marked 40% off only to discover it wasn't on sale. This doesn't include the many times I've had to wait and wait until I could get an emplyee's attention, employees being very nasty when I asked a question. :cry: