Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Applique---

When a put a cut out down to applique, do I need to turn some under or can I just glue the cut out down and then applique?

There are various ways to do it. IF you are using a fusable product then you do just put it down and iron it. Then you can do what ever sewing on or near the edge that you would like, usually on machine.

If you want to turn under the edge you would not glue it down or use the fusable backing. But I am a novice at applique. I am sure someone has a better explanation.

Blog Entries
    if you do not turn some under, there will probably be fraying. if that is the look you want, then go for it. you could use a product like Wonder Under and that will eliminate most of the fraying, but it will make your applique stiffer

If you're doing hand applique you usually turn some under as you go so the fabric doesn't fray.

My Mother did raw edge, I like to do both. Some of Mom's are fraying as she did not use anything in the sixty's through early eighty's to stick them down. with the iron on's we have now I have not had any problems with mine.

Thanks Ladies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat
    My Mother did raw edge, I like to do both. Some of Mom's are fraying as she did not use anything in the sixty's through early eighty's to stick them down. with the iron on's we have now I have not had any problems with mine.
    :thumbup: I also have used fusibles, and it has been fine so far...a trick to not having it feel so stiff is to trace your shape on the fusible, and then cut out the middle part, leaving the edge; then iron it to your cut out applique shape. That way you only have fusible around the edge of your fabric applique and the stiffness is decreased.
    Take care,
    Kif

Blog Entries
    I use a very thin iron on interfacing. I then can trace my design on it and cut it out. To apply to the background, I use a fabric glue stick to spot glue it, then I machine stitch around the design.

raw edge applique- you use a fusable product- needle turn applique no fusable- you turn under the edge.