Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Dyeing Fabric >

Hand Dyeing Fabric

Hand Dyeing Fabric

Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
I didn't have any problems with the dye staining my white countertops at all. I buy all of my supplies from Dharma Trading including my PFD fabrics.
Great! We'll all be up next weekend. We'll bring out own supplies. You supply the kitchen. :wink: :wink:

I have two huge boxes of fabric I dyed years ago - gradiations and large pieces. My friend was moving out of her rent stabilized apt in NYC, and we knew the landlord was going to gut the place the minute she was out the door. She actually moved her stuff out 2 weeks before the end of the lease, and we all spent a couple of days in there dyeing up a storm. Plus we had the 15 washing machines downstairs. Cost a fortune, but it was all done pretty quickly. :lol: :lol:
Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Dharma Trading and Prochem are two fabulous sources. I dye fabric regularly, even did it with my DD's first grade class. I am a clumsy girl by nature, but have never dyed anything I didn't want dyed. I prefer the hand of my own dyed fabrics and the colors. using a low=water method is much easier.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 AM

I use to redye my plain colored shirts and jeans when they got dingy looking. Then I got into tie dyeing T shirts and every one wanted me to make them.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great summer out-of-doors activity!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Shoot....I just keep bleaching my countertops!!

(I hate my counters though...I wish they'd just give up so I could get new ones.)
Maybe quit bleaching them - you might like them better:)
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Sounds like a great summer out-of-doors activity!
I agree. A friend of mine & a local quilt group both do their hand-dying over the grass on old banquet tables in cheap clear plastic totes. The benefit of doing this in a group is that you set up a bigger quantity of dye batch or greater variety of colors than if you were doing this on your own. An outdoor clothesline is a plus.
It's also interesting to see what others come up with. Would love to get the chance to join in next time they have the outdoor 1-day class.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM

I've begun hand-dyeing my fabrics and I like it so much that I'm selling them at Farmer's Markets and online. To me, it is wonderfully satisfying to begin with white fabric, and come out with wonderful designs and colors.

I don't think I can ever stop! I am also beginning to dye bamboo socks! So soft.