Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand dying white tone on tone >

hand dying white tone on tone

hand dying white tone on tone

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Default hand dying white tone on tone

I need some very pale blue/green/whatever batik for the solid part of a sailboat scrappy that will have a Counting Threads FQ collection for the sailboats. I haven't found really pale colors anywhere yet. I have found just the combo I want, but way too intense. Almost tempted to buy it and bleach it. BUT INSTEAD..........

So, I'm considering hand dying, bordering on tie dying some bubbly, dotty sort of white tone on tone. If the dot figure didn't dye well, it wouldn't hurt because I'm trying for watery design anyway.

Has anyone here tried that? I may take a small piece and play with it, if I find the dye I want. Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm thinking that what ever the pattern is that is printed on the white fabric will tend to resist the dye . . . hmmmm. Now you have got me thinkin' that is this worked, it would be fabulous!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 AM

I do this all the time. I love the patterns because they do not dye. I made a Chinese Coins quilt with just white-on-white fabrics, including on the back. After it was quilted and bound, I dyed it and different fabrics took the dye at different intensities. It was really cool. Now to figure out how to post a pic...

Laurie
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM

My guild had a day playing with dyes this fall. I dyed quite a few tone of tones. The design part definitely does not accept the dye as readily as the rest of the fabric. I was left with a mottly fabric with areas of darker and lighter colours which I really liked. If you are not worried about a piece of fabric evenly coloured, experiment and go for it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
My guild had a day playing with dyes this fall. I dyed quite a few tone of tones. The design part definitely does not accept the dye as readily as the rest of the fabric. I was left with a mottly fabric with areas of darker and lighter colours which I really liked. If you are not worried about a piece of fabric evenly coloured, experiment and go for it.
The sailboat pattern is made up of HST, so I'll have only fairly small pieces of "white". But I want a watery look and water never appears to be one color.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM

I dyed some white on white can't find to show but the different whites come out different shades. Try a small patch first i case you don't like the result.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Wouldn't dyeing WOW give you TOT?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Wouldn't dyeing WOW give you TOT?

yep, but it will be a very pale, mottled watery look----------------I HOPE. I'm not looking for a very pale blue or a very pale green-------------I'm looking for a very pale, blue/aqua/green/purpley mottled or marbled (maybe tie dyed) effect and if the dots stay even more pale, all the better. They will look like water droplets.

At least, that is what I'm aiming at.

I think I will buy a couple bottles of rit and test on a couple small pieces.