Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hand embroidery fabrics

I am learning to embroider and I have been looking at prestamped fabrics to learn on. I am surprised at how thin they are!!! I know thin is easier to embroider, but I'm not going to spend all that time on something that will wear out so fast. What fabrics do the hand embroiders on this site suggest????

I keep medium weight muslin in natural and bleached on hand for quilt backs and embroidery. I don't care for the pre-stamped fabric either. If you will frame it to hang on the wall, it is ok, but not for use.

I use muslin, I trace pictures I like onto the fabric by tapeing the pic on the window and then taping the fabric over that nd trace it with a pencil or pigma pen when I have them. I do not like the prestamped either. Aunt marthas iron on embrodry designs are nice too and simple.

Blog Entries
    You might try 2 or 3 different fabrics and do a sample to see which you like best. There is not right or wrong, just what you like.

I also use the cotton dish towels you get in the bundle packs. I have often coffee or tea dyed them to get the look I want.

Banned
    If Im going to put it in a quilt, I use Kona Cotton Snow White. They have it Hobby Lobby and it is always 1/3 off so runs about $4 or $5 per yard.

This white is Kona Cotton from Hobby Lobby
    Name:  Attachment-211570.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  35.6 KB

Ew, I hate to hear this about those pre-stamped fabrics. My DSIL embroidered about 30 blocks that she wants me to make into quilts. Is there anything I can do to make them sturdier?

If you can find some of the older pre-printed patterns, they are much thicker. I found three sets of pillow cases and they are very nice. They appear to be from the early 70s

when my granddaughter started learning with the pre-stamped blocks we backed them with a piece of bleached muslin- they were still easy to stitch through- the extra layer keeps any stray threads from showing through on the front- and it gives it just enough body- we cut the muslin just a bit larger than the squares-and just laid them together- hooped them and she stiched away-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    Ew, I hate to hear this about those pre-stamped fabrics. My DSIL embroidered about 30 blocks that she wants me to make into quilts. Is there anything I can do to make them sturdier?
    You could use fusible interfacing to make them sturdier :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast