Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which hand and which foot? >

which hand and which foot?

which hand and which foot?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 AM

left handed, right foot but just recently started using left foot....used the knee lift a little tooooo much and had a sore hip. so now either foot is fine.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by suzee
I'm left handed and have always used my right foot. I think because I started sewing on a machine that had a knee control on the right side so just learned to adapt. You know, don't you, that since the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body that only left handed people are in their right mind! =)
Both of my children ae left handed and several years ago I discovered the lefthanded stoe in Indianapolis. i got both of them that saying and for a long time they reminded me about their "right minds" LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 AM

I'm left handed and use my right foot on the pedal. It's probably just getting used to using your left foot, and with
time, it will feel normal to you. Take care of your knee.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
Originally Posted by redkimba
I'm left-handed and left dominant, but I use my right foot on the sewing machine. I think because it's similar to using the gas pedal in a car (which is also on the right side).

I use right-handed scissors also. (mostly because in school those were the only kind that would cut paper; the left-handed scissors sucked.)
I agree - right for the sewing pedal and the scissors. For a rotary cutter I use my left hand. I can't imagine sewing with my left foot. Since I've never driven a stick shift, I have no "pedal skills" for my left foot.
I am left handed - use my right hand for scissors, my right foot for the pedal and somehow I use a rotatry cutter with my left hand and when I do needle point and han enbroidery I am left handed - - I just use what feels comfortable.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

I'm right-handed and use my right foot on mys sewing machine and my serger. A couple of years ago, I boke my right ankle falling on the ice -- tried to use my left foot but I couldn't control the speed very well --- either too slow or way to fast.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM

I am right handed and use my left foot. I started doing this while using my knee lifter for the presser foot and never went back.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 PM

I write and eat left handed, cut and sew right handed. I would be left footed if I could reach the gas pedal on the car with my left, however I was told that I would flunk the driver's test if I did that so learned to use the right and use the right on the sewing machine pedal as well. Otherwise it's anyone's guess as to what foot or hand I will use to do something new.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 PM

I tend towards my right foot, since my pedal connects on the right side of my cord, so it seems logical to put the pedal there, but I can switch no problem. When I use my hands free system, it has a lever I press with my knee, so I use my right knee and left foot to control the pedal
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM

It's right hand and right foot for me! :D
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by toomanycats
Here is a curious question..... do right handed people use their right foot on the sewing machine peddle and do left handed people use their left? Just curious here. I am looking at having my right knee replaced and am playing around with using my left foot on the peddle and was wondering if using the left foot was a natural to some of you.
I am left handed and sew with the same foot as I drive with--my right foot, that way I wont forget and do some thing stupid in the car. I use both hands depending on what I am doing at the time.