Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand needle ?

tmg
    How often should you change my sewing needle out? I have never read anything on it.

I remember Alex Anderson saying 8 hours, I think.

I'm pretty frugal & don't change a needle unless I see problems or break one.

I'm with donnajean - change them when I break them. This applies to either hand or machine needles. Or if you find that you are working harder to pierce the fabric (at least with hand needles), change it then. IMO needles are cheap enough to not wear yourself out trying to use them.

You can usually "hear" when you need a new needle. I have been using the titanium needle and they do last a lot longer!

I seem to break a LOT of them hand quilting as I use the tiny ones. I also have been known to wear a hole in the end of a metal thimble.
    I find they sometimes get a "burr" on the end that also makes them unuseable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I seem to break a LOT of them hand quilting as I use the tiny ones. I also have been known to wear a hole in the end of a metal thimble.
    I find they sometimes get a "burr" on the end that also makes them unuseable.
    i have more issues with bending the hand needles, when I'm hand quilting, what name brand do you use, I didn't think I was that strong

Quote Originally Posted by tmg
    How often should you change my sewing needle out? I have never read anything on it.
    For hand quilting, I change my needle when I notice I'm struggling to make a good stitch, or if I notice the needle is bent.

Janet