Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hand pieced tumbling blocks

I adore the look of tumbling blocks. The Y seams are so intimidating. I have tried machine piecing and it doesn't work well for me (I have made about 20 quilts so I have some experience). For those of you who do hand pieced quilts, is it difficult to learn? Does it work well for tumbling blocks? I thought I could bring a few to do during lunch break at work each day and slowly build a quilt. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have you seen the strip pieced tumbling block video on Youtube? It looks pretty doable to me.

Banned
    I beleive you need to mark the seam when you are doing y seams or at least mark a dot at the y point.
    I will make two templates - one for cutting out and another for the seam. Or if you cut with rotary cutter, I will be sure and mark the point where the y should be.
    After awhile you will be able to eye ball it.

Blog Entries
    I agree, I watched the you tube video on strip piecing tumbling blocks the other day, it looks really easy to do. No y seams

Blog Entries
    To bad you didn't live closer...I would cut them for you on my studio

MTS
    Banned
    You can do it with half diamonds (triangles, duh!). That way there are no Y-seams, just strip piecing. I think Marci Baker was the first to promote this method. Here's her video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpSETMbws4

Or, if you don't want to do traditional piecing and deal with Y-seams, another option is to do with the English paper-piecing method.
    Then you just have to whipstitch the diamonds together, either by hand or by machine.

But don't run from those Y-seams. Once you figure them out, they're a breeze. Take your time, mark your pieces, know when/where to stop, sew slowly (if by machine).
    I still mark the intersections on the back of every piece. And I've done dozens of them.

Blog Entries
    it's not hard. just remember to backstich at each end so the thread doesn't come out. Oh and if your doing tumbling blocks then stop a 1/4 in from each side but, you already know that lol. Have fun and enjoy that you can officially take your work with you!

hand piecing is not difficult, just more time consuming, obviously. y seams are way easier to hand piece, plus your lunchtime accomplishment will be very rewarding!

Thanks for the link to the video. I also am investigating whether or not I want to purchase the Accucut. I am leaning towards getting one. That would make cutting the pieces easier.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy
    hand piecing is not difficult, just more time consuming, obviously.
    Jinny Beyer would argue that point. :wink: :wink:
    In something like this block, though, done the traditional way, I'd have to agree with her. I was amazed watching her put together a few blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast