Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand piecing/quilting question

I have done embroidery/sewing, cross stitch, etc. But have never tried to hand piece a quilt top together. How can the stitches used in the piecing process be as durable as machine piecing? I know there are some quilters out there that still do all of the quilting process by hand and would like to know how to start a small quilt top doing it entirely my hand. I always put my quilt bindings on using my machine for the top but hand sew the back of the binding to the back of the quilt. I find that to be very relaxing and would love to try a quilt done entirely by hand. Am i crazy?? Where should i look for advise besides here that is :lol:

Jinny Beyer's book on hand piecing is an interesting read. I borrowed it from my public library. I can't hand sew as fast as she does or quite like she describes. I have an ongoing GFG that I hand piece. When I've made mistakes, it's hard to rip out the stitches, so I think it'll stay together ok. I sew small running stitches, and take an extra stitch about every 5 or 6 stitches.

also the quilting holds it together

Blog Entries
    I was hand piecing a quilt as you go Log Cabin. I got bored with it so I made wall hangings of four blocks each and sold them at a church bazaar - they were a hit! I, too, made a back stitch about every five stitches.

Thank you...these are great sites!!!