Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Hand Quilt or Not to hand quilt... That is the question >

To Hand Quilt or Not to hand quilt... That is the question

To Hand Quilt or Not to hand quilt... That is the question

Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 PM

Ok, I have my Butterfly Sampler king size quilt that I started in 1993 completed the top in 1999 and then sandwiched to hand quilt in 2006. I have got the center square(a butterfly) of the center block (Log Cabin) hand quilted.
My question is should I just give in and take it to the quilter and have it quilted with a random butterfly pattern OR should I stop worrying about cat hair getting on it and set it up and hand quilt it?

I live in a very dinky house and am building an addition onto my house for my mother. This being said, it is also very dusty and cluttered because of shifting stuff around.

DH said he'd like to finished so we could use it even though it's not hand quilted as I originally wanted.

Opinions Please....
Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Done is good. When you look back how will you feel. Go with your heart.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM

From your comments I think you're trying to talk yourself into having it done. You do what feels right. I will be beautiful either way!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM

I used to be a bit of a handquilting snob, but I'm starting to change my mind. I love finishing a quilt. It seems as though you want it finished! Go for it with the machine, it will look beautiful. I had a quilt with 2 blocks handquilted for almost a year and finally took out the stitches and machine quilted it.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I see no problem having it machine quilted. It would be wonderful to have it done.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

It is your quilt, so go with what will make you happiest :D:D:D
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Handquilting a King size quilt takes a lot of time. Unless you really enjoy the process, you probably should take it to a long armer.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Google Goddess

king size, I would take it the longarm quilter

once you get it back you could still handquilt on it

Originally Posted by Leota
Ok, I have my Butterfly Sampler king size quilt that I started in 1993 completed the top in 1999 and then sandwiched to hand quilt in 2006. I have got the center square(a butterfly) of the center block (Log Cabin) hand quilted.
My question is should I just give in and take it to the quilter and have it quilted with a random butterfly pattern OR should I stop worrying about cat hair getting on it and set it up and hand quilt it?

I live in a very dinky house and am building an addition onto my house for my mother. This being said, it is also very dusty and cluttered because of shifting stuff around.

DH said he'd like to finished so we could use it even though it's not hand quilted as I originally wanted.

Opinions Please....
Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

lots of quilts, even from the BIG PROFESSIONALS have quilts that are both hand and machine quilted. i started a queen quilt a few years ago, worked on it off & on for about a year then caved and machine quilted it...it turned out good. if you want to get it finished so you can move on send it out and start your next one :)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 AM

For years I thought all quilts HAD to be hand quilted.
I had a stack of quilt tops and only a few treasured hand quilted completed quilts.
I finally gave myself permission to send them out to be done. I am extremely happy I did.
They are done, done, done. I just know if I was not around, my family wouldn't know what to do with just the tops.
Give yourself permission to send it out to be done. It is so worth it.