Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand quilters question

I lap quilt. I tried a hoop and it just got in my way. I love lap quilting on a cold winter day all snug in the quilt I am working on.

Banned
    I use the "No Slip Hoop" - 14" made of plastic. Can be purchased at Joann's. I also use this in all my hand quiting classes.

Quote Originally Posted by bj31032 View Post
    I lap quilt. I tried a hoop and it just got in my way. I love lap quilting on a cold winter day all snug in the quilt I am working on.
    I used to have one of those PVC ones, I just couldn't get comfortable and ached everywhere. It took me a whole winter to do a double quilt. Now I'm lap quilting, but nothing very big. I have tried a hoop but don't know how to hold it up, it is in my way too.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

I hand quilted a queen size using a hoop. I think it is 14-16" and about an inch high. It took me a long time of starts and stops but I love the finished product.

I have a frame - similar to the PVC floor frame at JoAnn's, but it's made of wood w/ foldable legs. It's perfect! I have used a hoop and balanced on a chair in front me so that I can get my hand underneath it. I am thinking about getting a hoop on a stand that will fold up and be portable for traveling purposes.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I use a Q-Snap PVC floor frame too. I keep it out in my den when I have a quilt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I have a frame - similar to the PVC floor frame at JoAnn's, but it's made of wood w/ foldable legs. It's perfect! I have used a hoop and balanced on a chair in front me so that I can get my hand underneath it. I am thinking about getting a hoop on a stand that will fold up and be portable for traveling purposes.
    Hmm, that gives me an idea, I have one of those wooden stands for cross stitch stretchers, maybe I could balance a large hoop on it for big quilts. Has anyone tried the hoop with the part you sit on??
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

I use a wooden 14" hoop whilst I sit in my recliner, all sizes of quilts. Nice and comfy in the winter, not so much in the summer. But I'm usually too busy with the garden and outside stuff in the summer to quilt much anyway.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    My stitches come out better when I use a hoop but sometimes I get tired of using it and lap quilt, so I usually do both in one quilt.
    Bernie

I use a round 18" hoop that I got from Walmart--must be 30 yrs ago. I love it! I have done K sz quilts--just start in the center and travel around to keep it all smooth (I've always basted the layers). I can sit in recliner or rocker with arms and prop one side of the hoop on the arm rest. Easy as pie for me. I have a lge oval that fits onto a stand, but I've never liked it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast