Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand quilters question

yes.
    i use a hoop
    i use a frame,
    i lap quilt
    it depends on the project- what is easier for that particular circumstance- some quilts i have a heck of a time if hooped- but want them portable- find it easier to just 'lap quilt' some projects i have to have the hoop- some projects for me are best in the large floor frame.
    small projects (baby quilts, table toppers, ect) are generally done without a hoop or frame- unless the quilting design is very detailed- extensive.
    larger projects or ones that are very detailed-densely quilted i use a hoop if i'm taking it with me- the frame if i'm only working on it at home.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    i use a morgan quilt hoop
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Never used a hoop, never had a problem

I tried using a hoop and it felt so darn awkward. Tried handquilting without it... that felt like the most natural thing!

Several of the handquilters I know use a hoop.

Hoop for the middle (q-snap, 14"), then switch to lap quilting as I get to the edges. So far I have only done lap quilts this time around. I grew up with a quilting frame a permanent fixture, and everybody worked it - even first time visitors would be asked to place a few stitches! But, as others have mentioned, it takes up a lot of space.
    ​tea

I find it easier to use my lap....I find hoops a bit awkward.

My mother use to use frames. She had different sizes that my dad made her, and she used hoops too. Not just on her lap, but I am a lap person. Feels freeing, and comfortable. Just my style.
    JuneBillie - In memory of my dear mother June, and my dear mother in law Billie.
    I am thankful for this day My name - Susan

Hoop, hoop, hoop all the way. Most of my quilts are queen size. Basted well, never had a problem with pleats or tucks. I do miss my recliner tho, now i have a love seat, and it is just not the same.

I have always hand quilted on my lap no matter what size the quilt never used a hoop

I lap quilt. I tried the round hoop, the PVC frame from JoAnn's but I never could seem to get the tension right for hand quilting. So, now I have a frame that merely holds the fabric (I'm quilting a queen) but basically, I'm holding the material in my left hand as I quilt with my right hand. I just remember to pin, pin, pin and get everthing tight and smooth before I start quilting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast