Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilters - what is best for you? >

Hand quilters - what is best for you?

Hand quilters - what is best for you?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Hand quilters - what is best for you?

I'm a fairly new hand quilter and am always looking for better ways to quilt. I took my first quilting class at our Guild last month. When I took my quilt top to class, the instructor and the other students helped me sandwich. It's a queen so it's LARGE. Linda didn't even hesitate to have all of us begin basting. I had pinned the few quilts that I've completed but was glad to follow her instructions. I told her I had a hard time quilting on a floor frame (PVC type from Joann's) and she suggested I try a large quilting hoop. So I ordered one on a floor stand from Amazon. It turns and tilts but was I feeling very awkward with it. Today, I am quilting 12" squares that have a design drawn in the middle. The design has a lot of turns and twists and I was getting all tangled up in the frame and the quilt. So, I took it off the hoop and started quilting it in my lap. Guess what? My stitches are more even and smaller. I'm considering quilting the rest in my lap since everything is basted no more than 3" apart. Any thoughts from you hand quilters before I continue?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM

Do what works best for you! There should be no "rules".
Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM

When I hand quilt I always do it in my lap. I own hundreds of safety pins to pin well before I start. My grandma taught me this method. I could never get the hang of the hoops and frames even though she tried to teach me lots of times!!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Default basting quilt

There is a video out there about basting a quilt. You use long z shaped stiches in rows about 4 inches apart It works great and when you are done you can drag the quilt with you ,quilt in your lap, roll it up and store it etc. Sorry I don' remember who did the video but its great because you don't get hooked on the pins. Maybe search basting quilts.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM

Unfinishedbusiness, I'm going to try this, have a baby quilt coming up to be hand quilted. Although I don't have trouble with getting hooked on pins. Guess I've just learned to be careful.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM

Sharon Schamber is the one who does the video you are talking about. You can find it on YouTube under quilt basting.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM

I could never get the hang of the hoops on a stand, took mine off and never went back. I do like a 14 inch hoop though.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Sharon Schambert maybe? You Tube has lots of videos for basting quilts.
Originally Posted by unfinishedbusiness View Post
There is a video out there about basting a quilt. You use long z shaped stiches in rows about 4 inches apart It works great and when you are done you can drag the quilt with you ,quilt in your lap, roll it up and store it etc. Sorry I don' remember who did the video but its great because you don't get hooked on the pins. Maybe search basting quilts.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM

If you are comfortable,enjoying lap quilting,and are pleased with your stitches,then by all means do it this way.I am a hand quilter.I quilt various ways(frame,hoop,lap),but lap quilting does offer a lot of freedom in many ways,and I love doing mine in my lap.For me I detest the hoop, while other love theirs.I have one on a frame right now that I am working on,and also doing a lap one when I want to move to another room. So go for it the way that makes you comfortable with yourself as a quilter,if not,it will become a chore,a burden, and each stitch will bring a sense of dread,not pleasure.Good luck.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:23 PM

Do whatever works for you. I have done it on all kinds of hoops and frames. I find if you roll up the parts that are hanging down and pin them so that they are not getting in your way it is much easier to quilt on a floor hoop etc. I still prefer hand quilting to any other method.