Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand quilting and batiks?

I'll be the exception to the rule. Recently finished an over-sized twin log cabin. Top and backing different batiks. Warm & Natural batting. Hand quilted. Didn't notice that it was any more or less difficult or painful than any other quilt that I've hand quilted. And I hand quilt all my quilts. I do use Roxanne needles - #10 or #11 - and Thread Heaven. I also use a Thimblelady thimble and push with the pad of my finger vs. the top. Not sure if that helps or not but it's what's comfortable for me.

I've never seen this tip on here, so I apologize in advance if I'm just repeating something. If I am having trouble getting the needle through the fabric, I rub it through my hair and it seems to penetrate like butter. I think it's the static in the hair.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I'll be the exception to the rule. Recently finished an over-sized twin log cabin. Top and backing different batiks. Warm & Natural batting. Hand quilted. Didn't notice that it was any more or less difficult or painful than any other quilt that I've hand quilted. And I hand quilt all my quilts. I do use Roxanne needles - #10 or #11 - and Thread Heaven. I also use a Thimblelady thimble and push with the pad of my finger vs. the top. Not sure if that helps or not but it's what's comfortable for me.
    Are you using the Thimblelady technique, too? She keeps the quilt sandwich so loose she can probably quilt through anything!

I push with the finger pad, using a Roxanne thimble. I use John James or Foxglove Studio size 11s.

Janet

I just finished hand quilting an all batik quilt (front and back) and did not notice any significant difficulty quilting. Of course I echo quilt and do not go over seams and I'm careful about batting that I use. This one was Hobbs 80/20. Hobbs wool is even nicer for hand quilting.

I just hand quilted a quilt that was batiks, warm and natural and cotton on the back. No issues quilted no different then my others.
    *Rachel*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2