Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting - Designs?

Rob

I am working on my first quilt and hand quilting it. I have done some lines, ovals and diamonds.

Are there books or resources that I have not found that show the various designs one can make when hand quilting (or I guess one could do the same by machine too)?

Here are some, they are more specialized, but you can get some ideas. There is a site somewhere that has traditional motifs but dont remember what it was, sorry!

http://quickquilts.com/motifs/

Rob

Thanks! I did not think of the word "motif" and that did a world of good in google. There are alot of sites I see now. Thanks again.

I'm glad you posted about that. I couldn't think of the word motif either. I'm getting ready to hand quilt a lap size and was trying to think of designs to do instead of the in the ditch or next to the ditch that I always do.

I purchased some heavy plastic guides from the LQS and like them, you just have to adjust them to your quilt design. Sometimes I leave a line out, or my DH makes a smaller version for me. They look like the stencils we used to use to paint with in the 80s but cuter!!