Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Help! >

Hand Quilting Help!

Hand Quilting Help!

Old 08-12-2016, 02:58 AM

I'm with Jan in VA...I don't do SITD for the same reasons. But, as others have said as well, your batting choice will dictate the density of quilting needed. Since you are already planning to do specific quilting designs in both the background and foreground of the stars themselves, I would probably just do a 1/4" outline either within the star or on the outside of the star - whichever will get you closest to the batting requirements. Make those stitches SHOW!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 AM

I only hand quilt, and after reading your post about your plans, I would first SITD. This would keep the block stable, with invisible stitches.....kind of like permanent basting, and equally puff up the star. Then I would quilt the inside of the star per what ever design you chose. Then I would quilt the block next to it the same way. Lastly I would quilt the background between the two stars per the design you have chosen. I save the background of two blocks for last, and do them together, because often the design flows over two backgrounds to give the illusion of one block.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I only hand quilt, and after reading your post about your plans, I would first SITD. This would keep the block stable, with invisible stitches.....kind of like permanent basting, and equally puff up the star. Then I would quilt the inside of the star per what ever design you chose. Then I would quilt the block next to it the same way. Lastly I would quilt the background between the two stars per the design you have chosen. I save the background of two blocks for last, and do them together, because often the design flows over two backgrounds to give the illusion of one block.
Thank You for all the help. I am excited to get started and now feel I have more of an idea as to what I will do. Even though SITD is more work, I think that is the way I will quilt these blocks.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Again I encourage all to think about the effort taken to handquilt - and then to think about how in-the-ditch quilting doesn't show off your effort.
That's certainly not for me -- I want every stitch I take to show the effort I've expended and all stitches to add to the design of the quilt. I suppose there are occasions where this kind of quilting has its place, but I, personally, don't use it.

Jan in VA
Jan is right. Why spend time SID if you're hand quilting. Whatever you do, show off your talent and it's not in any ditch of any kind! :-)
Old 08-13-2016, 06:17 AM

Is this your first hand quilting project? If it's not, skip this LOL But if it is, when finished, I strongly encourage you to take tons of pictures of your work. Some with a close up of a ruler. A couple of years from now, you will be amazed at what you have accomplished and how much you have improved.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Anxious to see your completed quilt.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Jan, I agree, stitch in the ditch would not show off in hand quilting. I stitch in the ditch for machine quilting or 1/4" away from the seam if my eyes are tired and I can't hit that ditch.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Look for the Ohio Star on Pinterest. There are some pretty quilting designs. Even if they are more than you want to do you can pick out a simplier design from what they have done. Of course, I get lost on there and spend hours looking at quilts. I just saw a beautiful red and white Ohio Star that I now have to add to my bucket list of quilts I want to make.