Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting ideas >

hand quilting ideas

hand quilting ideas

Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Default hand quilting ideas

Hello everyone...I have finally finished hand piecing my Dresden Plate. It is sandwiched and waiting on me to start handquilting. I am stumped as to how to quilt this. I do have a lap hoop and my betweens are threaded and scissors are sharp!! Now What? I need ideas on how to hand quilt a Dresden Plate! I am looking forward to your ideas and pictures..if possible! Thank you in advance!

missgigglewings

PS: Be gentle..this is my first time! (For hand piecing and handquilting!) I did look up Borntohandquilt, but she has not been on-line since July 2014. I hope she is ok...Her work is beautiful!
Attached Thumbnails dresden-plate.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 04:27 AM

On something like this I would most outline. I would outline the dresdan plates and either outline the squares or quilt a line down the center. I am not a fancy quilter and there isn't much room to do much. I guess you could quilt an overall pattern but you have lots of seams to get through. I might put a small flower in the middle of the dresdan or I might just outline the circle a couple of times. How do you see it? Yes, I think I would outline the dresdans and hope they puff just a bit and do something in the center. It's yours to envision. It's a great looking quilt and you get to decide what you see.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Lovely Dresden top! It depends on how fast a hand quilter you are. I am VERY slow so I would outline stitch inside the yellow center and then around the edge of the plate. I might stitch 1/4 inch inside each blade so I don't have to go over any seams and just run the thread and needle in the sandwich at the narrow end between the blades so I wouldn't have to knot often.
On the sashing I might stitch along the edges and stitch a zig zag pattern in it to match the edge of the Dresden blades. I might even invest in the new zig zag frog painters tape and quilt along the edge. It is about $10 dollars a roll but it could be used again and again if you pin it after the sticky has gone.
OKAY, you asked for my opinion but do what sounds good to YOU.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:16 AM

I agree with the outlining or 'echo' quilting on this top. It's lovely. Also depends on the batting you are using and how closely it requires quilting to be done. I also like Tartan's idea of the zig zag frog painters tape! Who knew it even existed!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 AM

Your quilt is beautiful but I am no help on how to quilt it! Please show us when it is finished!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 AM

I am doing one at the moment! Into the 2nd year because I'm in no hurry. Got my idea from a book called "Fancy to Frugal" . I'm really enjoying the look of it! ( The photo has been altered to try and show the quilting better. The colors are not that strong.)

Here is a sample of mine:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521585[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fdsampledone.gif  
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I always check Google out for inspiration as to what other quilters have done:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hand...w=1015&bih=614
Old 06-05-2015, 06:33 PM

OK...Thanks so much...all of you! I think I will go with the echo around the plates and the zig zag in the sashing. It may take awhile, but then again...it already has! And thank you ManiacQuilter2, for the link! Beautiful quilts...I "wasted" an hour there!~ An hour well spent!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:27 AM
pal

First I would outline inside each piece of the dresden, not outside of it. After all of the dresdens on the whole quilt are done I would copy what Kitsie has done in the corner of each square. Hope that you love hand quilting, it is so calming.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:48 AM

I would quilt on the inside of each dresden "blade" 1/4 inch from the seams. (Avoid quilting the seams!) And also 1/4" away from the plate around the outside of it, on the white fabric. Also 1/4" from edge inside the yellow circles. Then add a little flower or even cross-hatch inside the quilted circle. You will also need to stitich in the ditch or 1/4" in from the edge of the white square. And something simple in the sashing. Enjoy the journey. Don't worry about how long it takes. It will go easier the longer you do it. Here is a link to one I hand quilted. It is a center motif, so larger than most Dresden plates. https://www.facebook.com/12930409375...type=1&theater