Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting with Lots of seam allowances on small pieces ? >

Hand quilting with Lots of seam allowances on small pieces ?

Hand quilting with Lots of seam allowances on small pieces ?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Hand quilting with Lots of seam allowances on small pieces ?

I have three ufo lap quilts that I have EPP'd. I really want to learn to hand quilt but the pieces I used are so small I would be going through the seam allowance (3/8 presses open) almost continually. Is this bad, are you supposed to avoid going through seam allowances? Many thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

It is not bad it just makes the quilting a little less easy to do. Instead of going through only 3 layers (top, batting, backing) you will be going through 4. It is advised against in traditional quilting because usually seam allowance are pressed to one side making it 5 layers to go through. You should be just fine. You may not be able to get really small stitches but consistency is more important than stitches per inch, especially when first learning.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 PM

When I first started I kept a 10/12" square of plain fabric ( layered up with batting and backing) I would have a go on that first, (for about 5 mins) then move on to what I was actually quilting, just to reinforce the feel of the rocking motion you may find that helps, as to the seams they will probably be harder to get through but don't stress yourself out if the stitches aren't perfect no one will notice, only you!!! Hand quilting is so relaxing - Good luck with it.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 AM

I find when i hit those areas w/ the seams that I take stitches one at a time. Push the needle thru from the top to the bottom, then bring it back up from the bottom to the top..a bit time consuming, but it is OK.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 AM

As everyone else has said, you'll just have to go a bit slower where your seams are located. And taking one stitch at a time is helpful as well. You can do it. Remember, it's not a race. Supposedly we do this to relax and enjoy.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
I have three ufo lap quilts that I have EPP'd. I really want to learn to hand quilt but the pieces I used are so small I would be going through the seam allowance (3/8 presses open) almost continually. Is this bad, are you supposed to avoid going through seam allowances? Many thanks!
Why 3/8"...seam allowance is commonly 2/8"=1/4".......