Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting...Need some encouragement >

Hand quilting...Need some encouragement

Hand quilting...Need some encouragement

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Default Hand quilting...Need some encouragement

In the mid to late 70's my mom started embroidering a full size quilt top. She would work on it off and on. She then developed cateracts and couldn't work on it by the time she had that taken care of she developed arthritis in he hands. In the late 90's she gave all of her embroidery to me. In 2002 I started completing the embroidery. It was preprinted cross stitch in shades of pink. (Neither of which is my favorite.) It was a project I took on trips to work on while hubby drove and something I could do and still visit with others. I completed the embroidery and got a pic with mom. I have been lap quilting the top and still do most of it while traveling. I will call it the 35+ years, 35,000+ miles quilt. It has been from Washington state to Arkansas, New Mexico to Montana. This is my first hand quilting project.
Mom pased away this January and her 88th birthday would be this coming April 30th. I would like to complete it by then. I have only 2 more of the drops of the quilt to finish the quilting, they are 16" deep. A part of me soooo wants to put it away for a while and another part of me wants to finish it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM

All I can say is: think how good it will feel to have it complete!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM

I am sorry for your loss. My dad passed in January as well and these past few months have been very difficult. I would encourage you to work on this quilt but only if it doesn't cause stress. Sometimes just the business that goes along with one's passing can be overwhelming. Your mom would not want to cause you stress. However, if you find working on the quilt to be comforting, then hope to it!! Give it a try and see how it goes. If it's difficult then maybe plan a small trip and finish it then. Don't worry too much about sticking to mom's birthday - maybe the anniversary of her death would be good. But do try to work on and see how it goes. Please let us know.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM

My father had turned over all of my mother's embroidery/cross stitch/etc. over to me when she passed away. Among the pieces was a mostly completed tablecloth. My mother had passed away in April. All of us decided to make it a point to travel to Dad's for Thanksgiving that year. I was glad I had completed the tablecloth and it was able to be used for that first 'momless' Thanksgiving. Everyone else was very touched and it gave them a sense of her being there. I think Dad still uses it for all of the holiday dinners at his house. Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM

So sorry to hear about losing your Mother. Mine has been gone 37 yrs. and I still miss her . I inhierited her UFOs and they are a daily reminder of the Queen of my life. I am working on some of them but it seems slow going. We just need to stay focused on the finish line, I guess. The quilt will be a real keepsake when you are done. I'd love to see it. Good luck
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM

What an absolute treasure! I am sorry for your loss. I agree with Amelia to not set a deadline. Do what feels right and don't make finishing the quilt a job.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Sorry about your Mom. I do quite a bit of hand quilting and it is a SLOW process. Once I get started I try not to look to see how much is left to do.........I remind myself to enjoy the journey. That helps me relax and just do what I can.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM

So sorry about your mom . I inherited my grandfathers embroidery one was an unfinished small table cloth with robins and holly. It took me 2 years before it was finished .one problem being I don't do Christmas since I lost my parents so I didn't need it. Now it is finished I feel a great satisfaction and a closeness to grandad that has been missing since he died. Something of his to touch and feel its lovely feeling on a lonely winters night. Trying to think if I can turn it into a quilt.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Your mom would want you to finish this and be proud!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks everyone. I do miss my mom.
Amelia0607 - I'm not overly stressed about mom's passing. I traveled 250 miles every month to take care of her for 2-3 weeks at a time. That was often stressful. The last few months were very hard for her.
I have been working on this for so long that I want to get it finished especially since I am so close. She did see the progress on it and I think she was pleased that it was, finally, becoming a quilt.
We will be going on a road trip mid-April to take care of our grandson ( such a sacrifice....NOT) for a few days while mom and dad deal with travel for work related commitments, so I may have a bit of time to get more of it done. I can get a lot done in a 5 hour road trip.