Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting needle? >

hand quilting needle?

hand quilting needle?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM

I am going to be doing some hand quilting. I bought size 10 quilting needles and some quality thread, but the eye on the needle is too little, and I can't thread it. What am I doing wrong?!?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
saf

Absolutely nothing. I had the same experience then learned that different brands of needle have different size eyes although they may all be size 10s. I tried 3 different makes and found that Roxanne's were the best for me. Also, have you tried a needle threader?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

have you tried a needle threader? Maybe you need a thinner thread?

I wish I could show you how I thread a needle, my MIL used to think it was so weird. I have the thread (end moistened) between my thumb and index finger of left hand, nails almost touching, then roll them open so thread end is exposed while holding needle eye right next to it. Does that make any sense? in other words I do not poke the thread at the needle.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Did you know that many needles have a right side and a wrong side? If you flip it over - sometimes you can thread them much easier.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM

also one end of the thread will be easier than the other. I forget which it is, the part that comes off the spool first or last, DH is always rewinding onto other spools so I lose track.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 AM

How timely! I've just been to 2 quilt shops today looking at hand-quilting. Joann's has a very poor selection and no hand-quilting thread unless you want Mettler or Sulkey. (sp?) metallic or embroidery. I did at the other store find John James Big Eye and saw the Hammond Big Eye. Got the Jon James. At the 20 for $2 I decided I'd try them first. Could not believe that the spiffy little LQS in out town doesn't even have any hand-quilting needles!! And no thread!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
also one end of the thread will be easier than the other. I forget which it is, the part that comes off the spool first or last, DH is always rewinding onto other spools so I lose track.
First! Once threaded I like to take the thread end and pass it back through the eye, then pull the loop down and over the needle point then slid up to behind the eye. I learned that on here and it just feels so secure as I have to do one stitch at a time. Only time its a pain is when you want to "un-sew" a few stitches, then re-thread and continue.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Try to cut your thread on an angle to give it more of a point. Sometimes using wax will help make the thread stiffer, too.

I have a heck of a time threading them. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to thread worsted weight yarn instead of thread.

Another tip I use is that I thread a whole bunch of needles at once and leave them on the spool. That way if I'm on a roll while quilting, I can just keep going rather than stop and fight to thread the needle.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
saf

Tip from friend. Do not wet the thread - wet the eye of the needle also use the end of the thread as it pulls off the spool not the end nearest the spool and cut the end at a slant.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by ptquilts
First! Once threaded I like to take the thread end and pass it back through the eye, then pull the loop down and over the needle point then slid up to behind the eye. I learned that on here and it just feels so secure as I have to do one stitch at a time. Only time its a pain is when you want to "un-sew" a few stitches, then re-thread and continue.
Great tip! I will try this. I am also going to order some Roxanne needles. Hope that with the larger eye, I can use the thicker quilting thread.