Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hand quilting needles

Is there a certain kind of needle I would need to purchase to hand quilt?

Blog Entries
    Not the side threading one's for sure.Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Not the side threading one's for sure.Connie in CO
    yes, i was very disappointed with those.

I'm on my third hand quilting project and thru trail n error I found the size 10 quilting betweens works best for me. More importantly get a good thimble your comfortable with cause ouch!!! Hope that helps

Yes, you want quilting betweens. The smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches you can make, but if you're just starting out you might feel more comfortable with a longer needle until you get the hang of things a bit.

different people find different needles work best for them- i use milners or straw needles (i like long needles) or a sharp= traditional hand quilters who have been at it a long time tend to use betweens (which are very very short)
    choose a size appropriate for the thread you are using- and the needle that is comfortable for you to work with. i know a wonderful hand quilter who uses applique needles- it's all a personal choice- i wouldn't buy a package of 50 of one needle just to find out you simply can not work with that needle.

people do comment on how tiny my stitches are- and i always use long needles- they are what works for me

I use English 10 betweens. Tried others and they just don't cut it for me. I also wouldn't be without my trusty thimble with the concave end. I can either push the needle with the side or end of it. It doesn't have to be expensive, mine sure isn't.

I agree with the others who posted here. The betweens are recommended. I still have trouble getting the stitches small enough, and even enough. I also have trouble getting the stitches on the back even. I know I have to keep up with practicing, but there isn't enough time. So many projects and so little time.
    Sue

Thanks for all of your advice. I will give a few different needles a try and see how it works out.

The only thing I would add to what others have said is that all manufacturers of the same size/type needle are not the same. If you find you can't use one needle type made by one manufacturer - try the same type/size needle in a different brand. It does make a difference. And it's a personal preference. My personal preference is Roxanne's but that's just me. And your preference may change over time as well. Don't be afraid to continue to try different types/sizes/brands as you go along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast