Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting question >

hand quilting question

hand quilting question

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I am nearly done with my GFG that I have been hand piecing. This has been a two year project done when I visit my dad at night or am sitting in a Dr office. I have always machine quilted my quilts but I want this one to be all hand made. I have never hand quilted before and needed some pointers on how you do it. I knew this was the perfect place to get great pointers on how to do it. I have my hand quilting thread and between needles. Do I use one or two strands of thread? Do I need a hoop or can I do it loose with the layers basted? These are just a couple questions I came up with but I'm sure you all have lots of tips on all areas of hand quilting. I have a few weeks before I start quilting it so give me all the advice you can. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

some people use a hoop- some do not - that is a personal choice-
single thread- not doubled-
baste well- don't worry about managing some specific number of stitches per inch- try to be consistant- so the stitches on the top and bottom look the same- and the stitches are even.
there are some very good tutorials/videos showing hand quilting-and many different (ways) to do it- some people stab stitch (meaning they make one stitch at a time-poke through top to bottom- poke back through bottom to top--
some people do a rocking stitch and (load) 3-5 stitches on their needle at a time---it takes some practice to get the hang of doing it-
there is a product called tiger tape- which comes in various widths, like 1/8" or 1/4"- it has little lines on it- you can lay that along the lines you want to quilt and use it as a guide to help get the stitches consistant and even-
start in the center-and work your way out
if you choose to use a hoop- the fabric should not be tight (like it is when embroidering) it should have (give) but be smooth--some people hoop then put their fist in the center and push down to give it the (give needed) before tightening their hoop--
if you find the hoop too awkward try it without- (as long as it is basted well)

if you enjoy hand piecing you already have the hard part figured out-
and if you find those betweens (difficult) try a longer needle--not everyone hand quilts with tiny needles- some great hand quilters use straw's or milner's - sharps are another option- just make sure to use the correct needle size for your thread...so it doesn't fray.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM

it would really help if you could watch someone do the hand quilting stitch. I know I could not get the hang of it until I took a lesson.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Do I use one or two strands of thread? Do I need a hoop or can I do it loose with the layers basted? These are just a couple questions I came up with but I'm sure you all have lots of tips on all areas of hand quilting. I have a few weeks before I start quilting it so give me all the advice you can. Thanks.
Use 1 strand of thread. I also use beeswax on my thread to assist in the thread not knotting up on me. You can get a little one of these at JoAnn's or a similiar place and just run your thread across the top of it.

When I started hand quilting I purchased some Tiger Tape. It comes in different stitch lengths. I started with the 9 per in one. I made myself a sandwich and laid the tape on it and went up and down at the marks. It sort of teaches you the rythym that you need. Then make gentle curves and such and just get the feel. To this day if I haven't hand quilting in a while, I'll make up my sandwich and play to start the rythym again. :D

I do use a hoop on my lap I do find it easier. I spray baste and pin at the borders and all has been fine. When you are going to put your quilt in a hoop remember its not suppose to be tight at all. You need some play in there. I put my fist under the hoop and push up to make sure that I have enough slack in there. The tighter the quilt is the harder it is to quilt it, but I can't not use a hoop.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 AM

All of my quilts are hand stitched. I use a single layer of thread, hiding each knot. I found using a hoop and starting in the middle helps keep the material tight enough to ward off those puckers. Sometimes I use the floor quilt frame - other times I feel the need to have the quilt in my lap and use the lap quilt hoop. When I get to the edges, I take off the hoop and lay it in my lap, tightening with safety pins - again to keep the puckers out. I'm not one who can use a thimble on both hands, so my main thimble is on my sewing hand, and my fingers take turns underneath the quilt, making sure the needle goes all the way through. I use the up and down method, depending on the design of the quilting. The quilting is consistent with pattern.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

If you don't have access to a class then get either:
"How To Learn To Hand Quilt In A Day" (and practice for the rest of your life) by Nancy Brenan Daniel or Alex Anderson's book on hand quilting,
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM

I went onto You Tube and found several hand quilting demos.

Here is one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNuRW9ycK8

ali