Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting question and thanks >

Hand quilting question and thanks

Hand quilting question and thanks

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Default Hand quilting question and thanks

I want to thank all who encouraged me
and gave advice on paper piecing,
I love it! I'm not sure I'll piece any other way ever again. I especially love how the units
and blocks are immediately s
perfectly square!
Now, on to my next lesson. I want to learn to hand-quilt. What basics.do I need to know, tools
to have etc. I'm going to watch some videos. Odd like to use a lap hoop, or maybe a small frame, nothing big. What do you all use? Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM

I'd, not odd...
Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 AM

kellyer21, as for any other tools, add needles & thread and you're ready to go. Now, I prefer using a lap hoop but there are others that just work without any hoop. If you go to the crafty.com site there is a hand quilting class that is fantastic for beginners.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor hand quilts and machine quilts (dsm). It depends on her mood as to what hoop she's using and where she wants to sit while she does just like her embroidery. She has the lap hoop to sit on sometimes, she uses no hoop. Also it depends on the size. When she repairs a hoop, she hand quilts unless the quilt was machine quilted.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 AM

I have used various methods to hand quilt--hoop, lap quilting, floor frame and finally, a Z44 Grace frame. My favorite is the Grace frame. There is no basting of the sandwich. The quilt is kept off the floor. It does take space, but I have a room where it fits against the wall and I can shut the door and leave it between quilting sessions.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM

I found that I had to experiment to find what worked the best for me. Realistically, I don't have the space to keep a long queen size frame set up all the time. Watching ergonomics is important so I can prevent back, shoulder, and neck pain. I experimented with a few lap frames and then with hoopless methods. Found out I liked to quilt a thread-basted quilt sitting in a firm ergonomic office chair without a hoop, but with a table or my bed supporting the weight of the quilt.

I also tried out many kinds of thimbles, needles, and stitching styles to find a comfortable method that would not only yield consistent stitches, but minimize hand pain. I watched lots of YouTube videos for tips.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM

I use the Thimblelady hand quilting method, as described in the book 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain.' It's similar to the traditional stitch, but eliminates the stress on wrist and fingers, and doesn't require pricking the finger under the quilt. I have short arms, so I use a 12" hoop; I sit at the table and rest the hoop on the edge of the table. Best wishes to you in your new endeavor!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM

What stitch method did you.end up using?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I use the Thimblelady hand quilting method, as described in the book 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain.' It's similar to the traditional stitch, but eliminates the stress on wrist and fingers, and doesn't require pricking the finger under the quilt. I have short arms, so I use a 12" hoop; I sit at the table and rest the hoop on the edge of the table. Best wishes to you in your new endeavor!
I'm so glad I read this because I am trying to hand quilt a queen size quilt for my grandson. I saw the Thimblelady on TV a few years ago but I couldn't remember her name. I just remembered the thimble and the needle. I have gone to Thimblelady's website to order the beginning kit and I am excited to think I can make smaller stitches and in less time than my method. I currently use a metal thimble on the middle finger of my right hand and a plastic thimble that looks like a guitar pick on the pointer finger of my left hand. I don't poke my finger but I have a hard time keeping my stitches even and I can only quilt for about an hour. I have arthritis in both on my thumbs and they get tired easily. I have a large floor frame but I don't care for it because my arms are short and it puts a strain on my neck and shoulders. I quilt a hand basted quilt without a frame and I have the quilt resting on a table.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:58 AM

Check out Jean Brown Aunt Becky tool YouTube videos. I learned a lot from them. I purchased the spoon to do spoon quilting but it is basically the same method as with Aunt Becky's tool. I have a quilt basted and ready to go. I have done quilting on a big frame. I found it awkward to quilt in all directions. I have a 22" Hintenberg frame which I love because it moves in all directions but with the 22" I do find I am stretching. I recently bought the 14" model which you sit on. I'll see how that works out. I do hand baste my quilts using the Sharon Schambler method. Have fun!