Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Hand quilting

I'm lefy handed and have never had a problem using a hoop unless a right handed person is sitting next to me, but I have that problem at the dinner table to. LOL. I think quilting without a hoop gives your quilting a different look then it does if you use a hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    "What would they think of me then when looking at something less than what Iíve done for others?"
    I don't think machine quilting represents something less. It is just done in a different technique. Different projects lend themselves to different techniques, and as the creator you get to chose what suits you and the project. I have been given both handquilted and machine quilted
    gifts and treasure both them and their makers!
    I don't really think most folks even know the difference, and think that was what Mom was saying about doing for the kids. It's that you make it that really counts.

I do want to learn to machine quilt very soon, simply because there are so many cool things to do. Honest, I've nothing against machine quilting. It's like my wanting to do a quilt pieced completely by hand sometime too, just for the experience. Gotta try it all!

My thought about price- if you price it too low you devalue all quilts. They are time consuming & it is insulting for people to expect you to work for nothing, would they be willing to do their job for $1.00 an hour? I don't think so.
    Just my opinion.

Exactly joannl, I mean really, this isn't Walmart we're talkin'.!

Quote Originally Posted by joannl
    My thought about price- if you price it too low you devalue all quilts. They are time consuming & it is insulting for people to expect you to work for nothing, would they be willing to do their job for $1.00 an hour? I don't think so.
    Just my opinion.
    I have to agree completely! Hand quilting is a dying art and as such, your time and effort put into it should reflect that. If you want to make a point about how much time it takes, simply keep track while you hand quilt. I bought a great little timer from Walmart and I have used it to track both the time it takes to piece a quilt and the time it takes to hand quilt it. When you tell someone it can take 200-1000 hours to make a quilt from start to finish, it really starts to drive home to them the amount of work that goes into a quilt, which can make it more valuable in their eyes. (We already know how valuable it is!)

As for hand quilting vs machine quilting, each has their own merits and I don't view either as better than the other. It is simply a different method of reaching the same goal. If a quilt is going to get a lot of use I usually will machine quilt it. I have some quilts I am saving to hand quilt and other quilts that I am comfortable finishing by machine. If I had a long arm I would probably use that more than anything else. JM2C.
    ~Tiffany

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3