Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 12-09-2006, 07:22 AM

I had a old pair of rubber gloves, cut out the thumb. Its thick enough to keep from pricking the thumb yet thin enough I can feel it. I had one on the thumb and one on the left finger as I use that a lot more than the thumb. Not that I am an expert hand quilter but enjoy it, just not the ugly's. It worked great. Also put a thin one on right hand to help pull the needle thru as I am always losing those needle puller round things. It works wonderful. As the commercial goes try it you'll like it.

Rita
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 AM

They have some leather thimbles that work fairly well.....but some of us just can not get used to wearing thimbles! hahaha..... I can't wear rubber gloves either!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 AM

Thanks. I did buy a rubber thimble for my thumb. It is too small. I have already came up with a solution though. I go to the dollar tree and buy rubber cleaning gloves. I buy the small size cut out the thumbs. This has worked wonderfully. :D
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM

Glad to hear you found a solution. When I handquilt, I do the same. I'll get to talking to someone while I'm working and ouch...there it did it again. LOL. I can't use a thimble either. I'll have to try these ideas.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 AM

Like Norah, I use the liquid bandage. Nail polish just dries my skin and doesn't stop the needle enough. the liquid bandage will peel right off when you get your hands wet enough, like doing dishes! (I know, I'm probably the only person in the world without a dishwasher :roll: but it keeps me adding lotion to heal the hands)

I do use a thimble on my push finger, but not on the catch finger or thumb....sigh.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM

I forced myself to get use to a thimble. It was very awkward for a week or so and then became second nature. As far as pricking yourself with a needle I think that most quilters just get use to it, though you do tend to learn how far in you can go without blood loss. I think in the three months I've been quilting I've almost got a callous built up. Ah well, part and parcel; the Marquis de Sade would be proud. :wink:
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 AM

I cut a small circle of rather thin suede leather, clip a pie shape piece out of it...cone the circle to fit around my finger, thumb ( I use either my thumb of middle finger depending on the type of sewing I'm doing) then whip stitch it together on the suede side. Turn it inside out so the slick leather side is out and its thin enough to feel the needle tough enough to protect my fingers.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Oh yeah...forgot a step...I start stitching just under the tip of the cone, and snip the very tip off so it isn't bulky when I turn it slick side out.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 AM

I also use super glue to heal cuts and pricks, my friends laugh when I tell them. A friend of mine said they used it in the service when he was in to get the men to the hospital alive. so I guess I can use it too!!!!
I cover my thumb with about 3 coats of liquid bandage to hand quilt, it helps alot. Deb :mrgreen: