Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting >

hand quilting

hand quilting

Old 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM

All great ideas. I guess I just need to keep on keeping on. I wanted to hand quilt this one as something special for myself but I don't think I'll do another one by hand this size! I've actually considered taking out what I have done so far and sending it to be machine quilted!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:08 PM

I don't use a hoop or frame, just a very heavy steel piece to anchor the quilt as I quilt it on the table.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I've been hand quilting before t was cool to do.
I just gather it up in my lap and work around it. it does get bulky, but
it's the only way I know how to do. Never used a frame or a hoop
it the early days, 40 + years ago, Didn't know they existed.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 PM

When I assemble a quilt, I only assemble about -18 to 20 inches at a time (usually about 1/2 a width of fabric for the backing.) I then quilt these strips easily on my lab, in the car, or where I want to travel with it. When done, I assemble the strips and wah-lah , a queen/king size quilt without the weight (until I have to put on the binding).
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
When I assemble a quilt, I only assemble about -18 to 20 inches at a time (usually about 1/2 a width of fabric for the backing.) I then quilt these strips easily on my lab, in the car, or where I want to travel with it. When done, I assemble the strips and wah-lah , a queen/king size quilt without the weight (until I have to put on the binding).
Because of the way I quilt (or, more accurately, where I quilt, which is anywhere I can), this has been suggested to me. I like the idea, and will try it eventually to compare and see which I like better.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've been wanting to start a quilt with one big spiderweb. I drew one just under 5' diameter last night, and cut out the "wedges" so I could work with each piece individually using scraps. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing it "quilt as you go". The sashing would give both the front and the back a well-defined web (although the back would have a single fabric). I think I'll take it to my quilt group Monday and see if they have suggestions. The more I think about it though, the more I think I want to do it this way, so thank you!

Now all I need is more Halloween fabric...!

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 09-23-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 AM

I, too, quilt in a 14" hoop. I pin baste, sit on the couch with a card table in front of me. Between the couch and the table, the weight of the quilt is supported reasonably well. Can angle the hoop on my lap and put my supplies on the table. I do have a floor frame that my father made for my mother that I enjoyed for a long time but I prefer the hoop as I can turn the work to best advantage for my hands/wrists. Too, if I need to get it out of the way for some reason, it's easy enough to do.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 AM

I am quilting a queen size quilt and I set up two card tables behind the couch to help support the quilt. I use an oval hoop which allows a slightly large area for quilting. Mostly the quilt rest on only one card table. I need the second only when marking an area. This quilt was finished before marking and started by someone else. I am just finishing the 4 borders with a clam shell pattern. and it does take awhile.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
At home I've only worked with baby quilts and am using a hoop lap stand for those. They don't have much weight to them, but we'll see how it works when I move to a queen sized quilt (although the maker-- Jean Brown (I think her husband makes them) says she's used one for all her quilts).

When I quilt with the group, we lay out the quilt on a couple tables. When we're done for the afternoon, we roll up the quilt and put it in a pillowcase and collapse the tables if we need to. There are also a couple quilting frames, but they do take up some room.

ETA: When I use my lapstand hoop, I use an "Aunt Becky" to quilt. When I do it with the group with the quilt on a table, I just do it "normal".
i got an "Aunt Becky" a while back and practiced and never got the hang of it. Do you have any recommendations? I watched the video a lot of times.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
i got an "Aunt Becky" a while back and practiced and never got the hang of it. Do you have any recommendations? I watched the video a lot of times.
I think what probably helped me most was that I was only just beginning to quilt, so had only had a few hours of practicing without it. It was important for me to learn because I can be exposed to some pretty nasty stuff at work (like sewage), so the fewer needle pricks on my finger, the better.

I watched this video a few times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHEDYeIWz4 (metal-to-metal hand quilting with Sharlene Jorgenson & Jean Brown)

Also this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKrAHJKAwU (Aunt Becky's Finger Protector)

It took a while to get used to, and I've kind of combined their different methods to make my own. I do leave the quilt pretty loose in the frame. I've also found that it goes easier when I'm quilting with the grain of the fabric, but I have to work harder to make sure I'm not missing my backing when I go against the grain.

I also use a Colonial raised edge thimble similar to the one in Jean's video (when I followed the measuring guide, it said to order a 10, and it was too large, so I ended up getting a 9. However, if my finger is swollen, I wrap a piece of batting around my finger and can comfortably use the 10.) I have really short fingernails, I don't think that one would work if you have nails.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM

I've only hand quilted a 40" X 60" baby quilt. My two other attempts at hand quilting larger quilts languished in the UFO pile for far too long. I found that quilting with a hoop feels awkward to me. Once I found Sharon Schamber's you tube video on hoopless hand quilting, I found that I liked it much better. You have to spend more time with secure basting, but I found that I was much more comfortable without a hoop. I practiced a little on a queen-sized quilt before machine quilting to see if I would like hoopless hand quilting my next large quilt, and I think that as long as you find a way to support the weight of the quilt, it works. The top of my bed is 36" off the floor, so I pulled my quilting chair next to my bed to quilt. I like the idea posted above for working between two tables, too.

I have tried quilting with different kinds of thimbles on different fingers and different needles to find the method that allows me to quilt the longest and have consistent stitching. Still haven't settled on the best method for me, but it may be good to switch methods to avoid hand pain.