Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand Quilting

Blog Entries
    I am a couple of weeks from beginning my first hand quilting project. I have always tied quilts but wanted to try a combination of hand and tie. I will be ditch stitching around bordered 10 inch squares on this project as well as putting ties in the middle of each 10 inch square. My dad just made me a quilting frame! It adjusts up to 110 inches and the quilt top is 104. I have to make the trigger cloth covers for the rollers before beginning. I was hoping that I could get a few pointers from those of you who hand quilt. Any info would be helpful! I've watched videos and read a lot but hearing from real quilters would be great! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I think it is awesome of your dad to build you a frame and that you want to hand quilt too :D:D:D

what a great dad

Most new hand quilters make the mistake of stretching the quilt too tight. Loosen up a bit. Good luck. Just remember; practice makes it easier and better. Be sure to show us your quilt when you finish. Aren't Dads great?

Blog Entries
    thanks! My dad is one of the best!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Supergma! I will remember that when I'm attaching everything to the frame. I probably would have made that mistake!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Good luck and try not to make yourself crazy about getting small stitches. It's more important to have even stitches.

Relax, enjoy and have in mind that practice will improve your skills. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them here on the board! You will get tons of help and support.

I just found your thread & wanted to know how your quilting is coming along or have you finished it?

Can I borrow your Dad?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlocklin
    I am a couple of weeks from beginning my first hand quilting project. I have always tied quilts but wanted to try a combination of hand and tie. I will be ditch stitching around bordered 10 inch squares on this project as well as putting ties in the middle of each 10 inch square. My dad just made me a quilting frame! It adjusts up to 110 inches and the quilt top is 104. I have to make the trigger cloth covers for the rollers before beginning. I was hoping that I could get a few pointers from those of you who hand quilt. Any info would be helpful! I've watched videos and read a lot but hearing from real quilters would be great! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast