Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting - thread color choices >

Hand quilting - thread color choices

Hand quilting - thread color choices

Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Hand quilting - thread color choices

I am about to start hand quilting a small wall hanging which is made of blenders in blues and browns. I'm wondering what color quilting thread to use. I'm afraid a light neutral will show up too much, so I'm thinking medium blue or brown, or of using them both - the blue on all the blue sections and the brown on the brown sections.

Just wondering how you all would handle this? Would you prefer to stick with one of the colors and have it be more prominent on the other color?

While I know there are no quilt police, this piece is for a show and will be judged.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Do you want the stitches to show up or blend in ? That could decide what color I have heard a gray blends in really well with most colors - might have to get a medium gray to get it to blend it but worth a shot
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

My opinion is: If you want the quilting to show texture only then use the color of the area on which you are quilting.
If you want it to show new design (the quilting) then use a contrasting thread. However, to do this you might need to find a color that will show equally on both colors. It also depends on your quilting design. If the quilting will show only in the specific sections then self color is good. If the design goes over the different colors then that is a different matter. This is basically what I as a quilt judge would look for. Let me know if this doesn't make sense or isn't clear.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I am about to start hand quilting a small wall hanging which is made of blenders in blues and browns. I'm wondering what color quilting thread to use. I'm afraid a light neutral will show up too much, so I'm thinking medium blue or brown, or of using them both - the blue on all the blue sections and the brown on the brown sections.

Just wondering how you all would handle this? Would you prefer to stick with one of the colors and have it be more prominent on the other color?

While I know there are no quilt police, this piece is for a show and will be judged.

Thanks for your opinions!
Since it's for a show and will be judged, I'd match each color section.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
My opinion is: If you want the quilting to show texture only then use the color of the area on which you are quilting.
If you want it to show new design (the quilting) then use a contrasting thread. However, to do this you might need to find a color that will show equally on both colors. It also depends on your quilting design. If the quilting will show only in the specific sections then self color is good. If the design goes over the different colors then that is a different matter. This is basically what I as a quilt judge would look for. Let me know if this doesn't make sense or isn't clear.
That makes perfect sense! The quilting design won't cross over from color to color, so I think I'll keep like colors together. I'm adding a photo of the quilt without its border on. It's a challenge quilt - you had to make four Ohio Star blocks from one colorway of P&B Bear Essentials and then you were free to use any of the other fabrics in the line in the rest of the design.

Thanks, everyone, and especially Holice - I can always count on your advice.

Lynda
Attached Thumbnails challenge2012.jpg