Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting thread question >

Hand Quilting thread question

Hand Quilting thread question

Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Default Hand Quilting thread question

If I want to hand quilt a quilt top, what thread should I use? I have previously used YLI hand quilting thread but it's so thick and wiry I was wondering if there is something else I can use?
What about silk applique thread? Is it too fine?
Any/all suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
GEMRM
Old 02-08-2015, 05:43 PM

I am a hand quilter and I use YLI too and find that it is a bit thick I have heard of people using DMC thread I personally have used that if I want my stitches to really show up. But recently came up on a cotton quilting thread on http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...ml?startRow=25 I am going to order some and see how it works. I will let you know how I like it.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM

YLI just came out with a 2 ply quilting thread...Ihaven't had a chance to try it.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:27 PM

I use Coats Dual Duty Plus Hand Quilting thread. I really like it and haven't tried anything else so I don't know if I would like something better. It doesn't seem too thick to me. My current hand quilting project is a GFG and I picked white thread so it obviously doesn't show up well on the lighter fabrics, but I think it looks great on the dark fabrics. Please pardon the uneven stitches, they are getting better as I go.
Attached Thumbnails gfg-quilting-closeup.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM

I always use Coats & Clarks Hand Quilting Thread.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Connecting threads is great thread for everything. My second choice is Gutterman. Never Coats and Clark it is terrible. I also use aurifil some times. Try all different ones and then decide. I buy Connecting Threads on sale when they have it.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Each time I have tried hand quilting, I have bought a different brand of thread. I'm really liking the Treasure thread from Superior threads the best. It is glazed, and it hasn't gotten knots in the middle of sewing like the ones I've tried in the past. Some of the threads I've used in the past were the right weight, but didn't have the glaze. For me, that makes a difference. Even with the thread conditioners or beeswax, I would still get knots.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:47 PM

I use Gutterman thread. Your quilt is only as good as the thread you use to stitch it together.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 PM

i used coats & clarks hand quilting thread for years...that's all i could find in stores. i started using guterman & liked it better. i like thick heavy thread for hand quilting because i like the look, the antique quilts i've seen used it & when you search online for hand quilting thread ...it's all heavy. 30 wt or lower as 25 or so. i don't like the prewaxed hand quilting threads like coats & clarks. the wiry stuff. i currently use valdani. i love the huge variety of colors, their varigated & overdyed colors. no knots or bad spots. my favorite thread. i order online because in my current area of residence i cannot find hand quilting thread. one lqs that i love does carry valdani quilting thread, but only in white & offwhite - small spools.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

I use Gutermann, for piecing by machine/hand and Gutermann quilting thread for handquilting. I have found it to be consistent and reliable, works for me - nice quilting sarahrachel.