Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand quilting through seam allowance

Janet,
    that is the reason why I would never do a Dear Jane... I really like it but there are too much seams...

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Janet,
    that is the reason why I would never do a Dear Jane... I really like it but there are too much seams...
    Absolutely! I started one, then gave away the four blocks I finished. It didn't help that I kept losing block pieces when I sneezed. :)

I have done both stab stitch and the back stitch method. Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting. Because I have always used prints of some sort for the backing the skipped stitches on the back never show unless you got out a magnifying glass and looked for it. I don't feel it harms the integrity or strength of the quilt at all to have a few missed stitches that didn't make it all the way through all 3 layers.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting.
    Yup, me too. I don't think the quilt police have enough time to compare front and back. I only do it at intersections where I have many layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting.
    Yup, me too. I don't think the quilt police have enough time to compare front and back. I only do it at intersections where I have many layers.
    That's exactly what I do, too! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I also did it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2