Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hand quilting without frame

Is it possible, and if so how, do you hand quilt a king sized quilt without a frame? Do you just baste it with the pins and use a hoop? Thanks for any help.

yes, many people quilt with a hoop on their lap instead of a frame. if you do a search for hand quilting with a hoop you will find many many tutorials showing you how.

I have hand quilted without a hoop or frame. I pin or baste very well. Than I start quilting in the middle and move outward. I use my underneath hand to constantly smooth the backing as I go. Although with good basting or pining you shouldn't have a problem with tucks on the back. The weight of the quilt is often on a tv tray or pillows. It is fun to do in the winter as it can be warm!:):)

I have a card table I removed the top from..I have two pieces of pvc pipe that are longer than the front two legs slipped over the back two legs so it tilts forward ..after pinning or basting I secure the quilt starting from the middle by clips bought from the hardwear store, if you use a scrap piece of material under the clips it works very well not to damage the material, I have checked into building a REAL quilt frame...the plans cost me @10.00 the materials would cost @300.00 and I have to do the woodwork myself to have it built would be @200.00 additional, I love my upcycle

Yes, you can do it. I quilt all my quilts in a 18" hoop on a floor stand and for me it works fine. I baste the layers with basting thread, not with pins. I hate it when the quilting thread tangles around the pins!

One of the girls in my quilt group handquilts everything and every size She is amazing all she uses is a hoop and sheuses a basteing gun.

What little hand quilting I've done, I used a hoop. I put the quilt on my dining room table so I have lots of room and quilt away. Haven't tried using my lap yet.

I too quilt without a hoop or frame. Have been doing so for years. Love the weight of the quilt on my knees. I pin most of my quilts and I start at the center and work out.

I pin baste and hand quilt without a frame or hoop. I tried using a hoop but it was such a pain to keep moving it that I just tried without it and like it much better.

I did it with a large hoop. I pined it first and then sat on the couch and watch TV and quilted my king size leaf quilt. I can tell you it was rather difficult to go around the maple leaf with that big quilt. It took quilt a long time to finish it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast