Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Sewing with Metallic Thread

I need some help. I'm in the process of making AOTH and have several blocks done with the exception of the embroidery. I want to use something with that gold "flash, zip". I've tried about four different gold metallic threads only to have them all fray. Do I need to find a different kind of thread or is there one out there that doesn't fray?

Have you tried a different size needle?

I'm using the same needle I used for the applique. It's a fine "sharp" needle. Should I use a larger one?

Blog Entries
    You will need to use short thread lengths. When you use it on a machine, it only goes thru the fabric once or twice before it is actually used in a stitch. When hand sewing, it will go through the fabric many more times giving it an opportunity to fray. Using shorter lengths will minimize this. I would make sure that you are using an embroidery thread from the hand embroidery area not from the machine sewing/embroidery department. A larger needle eye will also help.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    perhaps you need to think OUT of the quilting box and INTO the cross stitch/embroidery box. Krienig metallic threads to be exact!

you need to use the right needle-one specifically for metallic threads- and only cut your thread 12"-18" max at a time- the thread frays as it goes through the fabric- the shorter length allows you to use it before it frays too much. it might seem like it saves time to have longer threads on your needle- but shorter lengths save constant frustration with fraying/knotting/tangling threads- so actually saves time in the long run....and the correct needle for the job also makes a huge difference in outcome

I'm now using a needle with a larger eye and about 12-18" of metallic thread at a time. Seems to be working great!! Thanks everyone for your help.