Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sewing quilt patterns >

Hand sewing quilt patterns

Hand sewing quilt patterns

Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM

The hexagons for grandmother's flower garden are very easy and can be put together in a variety of interesting designs.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM

The Cathedral Window and the Reversible Quilt As You Go are my two favorite quilts to hand-piece. The greatest part is when you finish your blocks your quilt is done. Since you are doing the Cathedral Window I think you would love the Reversible QAYG. The process is similar but the outcome is much different. I have made 4 of these and thoroughly enjoyed making them, one from 30's Aunt Grace fabric, one from Civil War Repro fabric, one from plaids and one from home spuns.

This is the link for the tutorial http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...go-t42722.html I do not use white in this quilt but I do use lights snd darks.

God Bless and hope you have a speedy recovery.

By the way I use the blind stitch or ladder stitch when connecting the blocks so the back is as pretty as the front.

Last edited by GeeGee; 11-17-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: to add info
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM

jinny beyer's book "quiltmaking by hand" is definitely worth taking a look at

aileen
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM

When making the Reversible QAYG I started out with 4.5 inch squares instead of the 8 inch used in the tutorial.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Having just had two spells of hospital treatment and followed by weeks months of sitting recuperating I went to many ideas. I had collected them in the weeks before and had a collection of boxes. I did find though after op one I was unable to use 1 hand properly and tried crochet instead . Then I did knitting and embroidery . Before the second op I purchased a singer feather weight , the small vintage machine in full working order. It is very light. Robust and mine only goes backwards and forwards. Made mug holders with pockets as they are very forgiving, weekend bags for children visiting dad at weekends and a few children's presents. Here are photos of projects done. With the magic squares I started the book way ended up designing my own way. Only problem I had you can see in the picture was the way I started. PM me to find more. Paper piecing is a great love so enjoyed this. I found cutting was problem so I had a selection of charm packs they have been very useful. My other problem was I live alone so no one to shop for me so had a large selection to go at. Still having problems only 2weeks since last op but my little sewing machine great.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

you can hand piece any quilt you want---except maybe paper pieced ones (although i've made foundation pieced ones by hand) visit Jenny Beyer's web site & look at her gallery of quilts---Jenny hand pieces all of her quilts.
the great thing about hand piecing is the accuracy- i always have a couple hand projects going - use the machine for speed/convienience.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 AM

I have done the Turkey Tracks block by machine and after doing one block I think it would be easier to do by hand. It is a bit more challenging than most. I found it in an old book. Award Winning Quilts by Effie Chalmers Pforr copywrite 1974. It may be on Amazon.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Hi Dottymo (Maureen !) - I wonder if I am not replying properly to your PM as I did answer your PM - so wanted to ensure you receive this answer to your kind info in the original thread. Thank you very much and I will research it further - and also for your method of doing the square. I am so sorry if you did not get the replies I have sent.
With grateful thanks,
DottyD.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM

This is the Lucy Boston block. It is english paper piecing and it is done with templates that are a honeycomb and a 2 x 3" piece of fabric
Attached Thumbnails lucy-boston-004.jpg  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I want to thank all of you for all your help. Today being Thanksgiving I want to wish you all a wonderful day. This Board is a great thing. I sit and have coffee and look at all the good things on all different treads. Thanks for being here......