Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sewn or Machine sewn?? >

Hand sewn or Machine sewn??

Hand sewn or Machine sewn??

Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 AM

Default Hand sewn or Machine sewn??

Quick question!

I hand sew my folded star quilting, and pretty much everything else I make (kids fancy dress, etc) ... does anyone else out there still do this or do you all machine sew???

I do own a machine, but I'm a bit scared of it and haven't the space to keep it out all the time ... what do you do?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 AM

I rarely hand sew. My motto is "If God wanted me to hand sew, the machine would not have been invented"! I can do most anything by machine now--though I learned to hand sew first, by the time I was in 6th grade (700+ years ago), I was using the machine.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 AM

I hand piece and hand quilt because it's relaxing for me. Besides that machines don't like me at all. The minute I sit down at a machine, it starts doing bad things to me. The needle breaks, the bobbin runs out of thread, the thread gets all "bunched up" under my material. You get the idea!! Machines don't like me!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 AM

I do a mixture of both.

Hand: English paper piecing, needle-turn applique, buttonhole stitch applique, bindings, embroidery, quilting, etc.

Machine: piecing, quilting

I love handwork, it's theraputic. However, there are times when I need the speed of my machines.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 AM

I have some I do by hand and some I do by machine, I usually have at least one of each project going LOL, at the moment I have a scrappy blue star quilt I am hand piecing and a needleturn applique quilt, and want to start a paper piecing quilt by machine as soon as I finish up a few things.
Just do what you enjoy, it's no point forcing yourself to do something that you don't find fun or relaxing, don't worry about what others do
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
I rarely hand sew. My motto is "If God wanted me to hand sew, the machine would not have been invented"! I can do most anything by machine now--though I learned to hand sew first, by the time I was in 6th grade (700+ years ago), I was using the machine.
My motto, too! My other motto is. " if God wanted me to touch my toes, He would have put them by my knees!"

Last edited by Bneighbor; 09-20-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 AM

I am an instant gratification person so I use machine for sewing but I do embroidery and sometimes quilting by hand because I like that look. Until three months ago I did not have a place for my machine either. It was on my kitchen table when I was sewing and in its box in my closet when I was not.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 AM

I no longer make clothing but I enjoy hand stitching very much. On many of my quits there is a combination of both hand sewing and machine. In between quilting I keep a counted cross stitch project going to keep my hands busy when I am not in front of my sewing machine. I enjoy doing both!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 AM

I prefer hand sewing as that is how I learned from mother and gmother. Since 2 auto accidents 16 years ago I am not longer able to do hand sewing as much as I would like. I still do some but have to start and stop because of neck and shoulder injuries. Always try to take hand work on trips.

Used to hand quilt all my quilts too and really enjoyed the process; used to make clothes for myself and 4 daughters, used machine for that. I also have a quilter, mid=arm and sometimes I have to stop and rest while using it; but I love that I can still quilt.

delma
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
My motto, too! My other motto is. " if God wanted me to touch my toes, He would have put them by my knees!"
HAHA Bneighbor! You are to funny! (but I have to agree ;-) )