Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handiquilter vs. Gammill >

Handiquilter vs. Gammill

Handiquilter vs. Gammill

Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Handiquilter vs. Gammill

I am wanting information about the differences in these two quilting machines. I am wondering about the differences between the fusion and avante - the actual size of quilting area that is reachable (I am only 5'1" and do not have a long reach). Also I love the looks of the handiquilter but was concerned about the sturdiness of their poles vs. Gammill's. Can anyone tell me the difference between the prostitcher (Handiquilter) and Gammill's Statler?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Here is some reading for you. And some videos talking about the various machines and tables. Just a starting point.

http://www.mrquilt.com/Quilting/Machines/

http://www.squidoo.com/machine_quilting
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

about $20,000 is the difference. visit quilt shows, dealers and test drive both machines- then visit their websites & check out customer service, customer comments, features, available upgrades, and choose the one you like best- both are great machines, handiquilter is a very successful company- so is gammil, both offer machines that are available in different sizes.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
about $20,000 is the difference. visit quilt shows, dealers and test drive both machines- then visit their websites & check out customer service, customer comments, features, available upgrades, and choose the one you like best- both are great machines, handiquilter is a very successful company- so is gammil, both offer machines that are available in different sizes.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you've got to try it out for yourself, especially with something this expensive. Not every machine is for every person. And more expensive doesn't always mean better. It just means more expensive. I've got a puny Hinterberg Voyager 17 and wouldn't trade it for the world.....I just don't need the king of machines.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 AM

You will get folks that will give reviews on one system OR the other, rarely both. Most people who have a long arm have only one, and those that have had more than one in their lives typically upgrade to the same brand. Of those that swap brands, you now need to narrow it down to a person that has (or had) both of the brands and specific machines you are trying to compare.

Try them both out if you have not done this already, in fact try ALL that you can get your hands on. Best bet is a large quilt show. Do your homework first ... make lists of things you like (from their website or brouchures) and things you don't like, and questions you have about both. FEEL them all ... the one that "looks" right might not feel right in your hands (the Innova was not the prettiest long arm on the block but it's the one I fell in love with).

There WILL be compromises. No machine and frame set up is absolutely perfect for every quilter. Decide what features you are willing to live without, and what compromises you are not willing to make. What's MOST important to you.

Last week I made a compromise ... I was seriously waffling about do I need/want a long arm. I had done all the research and picked the machine I liked the best, but still wasn't sure I wanted to take that long arm step, it was a whole lot of money if I decided I didn't like it or couldn't do it. So I compromised ... a very nice used system happened my way and the price was ... unbelievable (almost free). With a very small investment I couldn't go wrong ... if I hated it I KNOW I could sell the setup for twice the price. So that's another thing to think about ... keep your eyes open for used setups and perhaps one will come along that will say "I'm the machine for you".
Old 10-06-2013, 11:12 AM

If you are short, as you say, would you be using the computerized functions the most? I can't imagine you comfortably using the complete throat/quilting space comfortably at once.

Both are great machines. Yes, the poles do hold up very well on the HQ's.

To me it was the difference between a ranch house and a two story house .... $$$$.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM

The Avant is my dream machine. The Fusion is just too big. I have a very old HQ16 and just love it. The tech support is fabulous. I bought mine used on Craigslist. I do not quilt for a living.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I have the Babylock Crown Jewel which is the same machine as the Avante, I love it. I have the Creative Touch system and it is really great. You should probably test drive as many machines as you can before you buy.