Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handsewing the binding... >

Handsewing the binding...

Handsewing the binding...

Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
It doesn't matter how long it takes me -- I enjoy the process of hand stitching the binding. I usually take a little nap while the quilt is on my lap too.
Ditto, i the nap part too!

edited
Should say I like the nap part too, one finger typing just isn't for me!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
HOLY COW,ckcowl, how big are your stitches? mine are about 3/8"-1/4" and it takes me that long to do one side! I need to watch your method.
I also sew using a ladder stitch and 3/8 - 1/4" stitches. I don't worry about the time it takes. I'm just concerned with the quality of my work. But I usually try to make sure I don't have tight deadlines. I enjoy handwork so much I am going to try needle turn appliqué soon.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
For me, threading the needle takes the longest. I love sewing with the real small thin needles (once they are threaded).
Nancy, get one of the Sewline needle threaders. It threads my number 11's easy peasy. I just had to learn it pokes a fold of thread through so don't just jerk the needle out stop and pull the thread on through.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 AM

Hand sewing takes time. I'm fairly fast, but still... it isn't going to go as quickly as sewing on a machine. But I have never seen a machine stitched binding that I liked. I've seen some that I could live with for utility quilts, but none that I could really say "Wow... isn't that lovely!" So now I try to find time to hand stitch every binding on every quilt I do.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 AM

Hand work may be time consuming but it is by far the most beautiful. I don't mind the hand work.... sewing on the binding or doing the applique. It means that I can sit in the comfy chair beside my DH and enjoy a movie with him. When I'm hand quilting or sewing at one of my machines, he's in the other room by himself. We'll soon be married 50 years and I still enjoy being next to him. You never know how much time you'll still have together so I try not to pass up a chance to share space with him.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 AM

As I have arthritic hands, I hand sew the length it takes to use up the thread I put on my needle. Sometimes on a good day I can work thru 2 lengths of thread. I keep my handsewing at my recliner and watch TV while I sew. Seems to go faster and I consider it mindless work as I don't have tax my brain doing it.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 PM

I haven't timed it - I just do my hand binding while I'm watching TV over a period of evenings.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM

I love hand-stitching down my binding. My greatest investment was to buy a box of the small wonder clips. I kept seeing people raving about them about a year or two ago and had no idea what they were. Wasn't completely sold on the idea, but when JoAnn's had them on sale for 50% off, I ordered a box of 50. Wow! Instead of constantly getting poked by straight pins holding my binding in place, I use the wonder clips which I feel makes the job easier and faster.

An average lap quilt takes me about 6-7 hours to bind it. Never calculated how many inches that was per minute or hour. I can usually finish a small baby quilt in one night. A larger toddler quilt might take me two short evenings. A really large quilt may take me up to 4 evenings watching TV while sewing. Since I enjoy this part so much, I don't really think about how long it takes me unless I'm working towards a deadline to get it finished and need to pace my time.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Hand sewing the binding is also my favorite of the quilting experience! I usually do it while watching TV. Baby quilts take one night, larger ones can take two or three nights depending on the shows!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM

The binding part to me is the grand finale of the quilt.