Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handsewing the binding... >

Handsewing the binding...

Handsewing the binding...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM

I machine stitch the front & then to hand sew the back of baby quilts takes me 4-5 hours to complete doing 3/16-1/4" blind stitches.
Sorry to hear your thimble isn't working. I got this open thimble at Joann that works great (even on the rare occasion when I actually have nails). It will fit on any finger or my thumb. Amazon sells them, too.

Also, I've done the whole tweezers trick, but I found these wonderful John James Gold'n'Glide Milliner Size 10 needles at my LQS & they are amazing! No more tweezers or fighting with the fabric for me. I tried a whole bunch of different needles before someone recommended these & I must say, they seem to be the needle-version of Aurifil thread. They are Teflon coated & just slide through the fabric no problem. Shaved nearly 2 hours off the time it takes me to do binding.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-21-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Gay

ckcowl - I too would love to learn how you sew so fast. It took me 8 hours to hand sew a quilt with sides of 110", while watching the telly that is.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:27 AM

Back from helping with judging and hanging the show. Lots of amazing quilts on display this weekend.

It was not so much that the thimble wasn't working as that I wore through it at key points.

There are definitely parts of our hockey arena that are grungy. I spent last Saturday in the lobby, so that mitigated much of the grunge. Several people commented on the wisdom of quilting while watching as one can enjoy the warmth of the quilt (even though it was over 90 degrees out).

I'm still perfecting my ladder stitch - and that is what takes some of the extra time - especially when I have to backtrack to get rid of the stitch that comes through to the front.

Fortunately I enjoy handwork, and look forward to doing future quilts in a more relaxed fashion.

I definitely prefer wonder clips over pins for holding the binding in place. But I also find that the ones that look like hair clips hold it a bit tighter.

I'll post a picture of the finished quilt on another thread - now that it is hanging!

Cheers, K