Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
handsewing hexies >

handsewing hexies

handsewing hexies

Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
If an area where I have stitched bothers me especially with darker fabrics, I just color the thread very carefully with a Pigma marker, they are permanent. Using the fatter vinyl plastic hexes allows me to catch more of the back than the front so when I even use quilting thread, the stitches don't show as much.
Dear ManiacQuilter2 that is exactly what I do but didn't have the courage to say it. I also use like color thread.

thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM

I taught beginners' patchwork for 20 years, and we always started with hexies. This is what we did: I cut the templates out for the class, using catalog paper and a metal template (Sears works great!) we basted the fabric over the papers and then sewers the pieces together using a whip stitch and cotton thread. Put two hexies right side together and whip stitch them together. Don't just pick up one or two threads, that way the stitches will show. Go with your needle through both hexies, picking up at least two or three threads, and pull tight. Work from left to right, that way you can check your stitches. Try to be consistent about how deep you go with your needle, and you don't have to make tiny stitches, 1 millimeter between the stitches is fine. Leave the papers in until everything is sewn together, iron your work with the papers still in!! If you want, I could send you a couple of hexies to show you what I just tried to explain. By the way - I am German/Austrian.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Somewhere on utube, there is a video telling how to sew hexes with invisible stitches. Search for it.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Since my original post, I have been diligently working at smaller stitching. Unfortunately, I am sitting at the hospital with DH, so switching to a new thread won't happen yet. I feel concerned though about the strength of the seam when I am only catching a couple threads. Will the quilting help to keep the seams from pulling? I just don't want the quilt to fall apart after a couple washes.
First hope DH is ok........as far as catching just a couple of threads.........afraid of seams coming undone.......as I do my hexies with those itty bitty stitches...I think the same thing.......anybody have an explanation as to why these stitches will hold.........

Last edited by Geri B; 09-23-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Equilter has a good price on it, cheaper than buying from a beading source

http://www.equilter.com/category/296...de-for-beading

Thanks for tip....yes price is better....will place an order
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'm working on POTC by Lucy Boston using the elongated hexie (honeycomb) There is a big group on Facebook doing the quilt as well as the Hexie Insanity Quilt. The Insanity pattern in now available to buy, the one that was printed in the magazine a few years ago has a few major mistakes. Many pictures and how to sew hexies are posted on the page and some are so perfect they look like a painting. I think a lot of hex sewers love the process more then the end result so to them stitch length, type of stitch, and invisible stitches are very important.
How can I view the insanity quilt? I don't do Facebook so I guess I will not see the Lucy Boston honeycombs, but I do have the book and fab and template and papers...next on my list of " try this".....
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Just found the insanity quilt.....no thanks....too small of pieces....working on 1" hexies now....that's where I stop......but those designs of insanity will look just as good with larger hexies....
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Mine show too...I'm trying to get better and they have improved, but not as much as I'd like.

I'm just hoping that once it's batted and quilted and washed the stitches will hide themselves...I am NOT redoing any of these!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 PM

I'm new to hexies but not handwork. I found that if I choose a thread matching at least one of the colors I'm stitching together, the little thread that does show isn't noticeable. It's almost an optical illusion. And I do whip stitch -I love it.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I'm new to hexies but not handwork. I found that if I choose a thread matching at least one of the colors I'm stitching together, the little thread that does show isn't noticeable. It's almost an optical illusion. And I do whip stitch -I love it.
Example:

Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg