Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Harbor Freight blades - issues with my newest shipment being dull >

Harbor Freight blades - issues with my newest shipment being dull

Harbor Freight blades - issues with my newest shipment being dull

Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 AM

The last package that I used wasn't very good either. Maybe the quality is changing???
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I think they have become a victim of their own success. As they started flying off the shelves due to quilters, they probably rushed production for increased demand. I have to pay full price for my blades here and all I can say is ouch! I used my 50% Michael's coupon this month and paid $8 for one blade.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 AM

I have about 15 packs left from older purchases and I've never run across a dull blade yet. Maybe with quilters snapping up thousands of blades they're having to rush products out to keep them in stores so are not inspecting them as well, or at all?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 AM

aahh Do you think there is a conspiricy against quilters by H F? Because of US they pobably have to hire more help to keep them on the shelves. LOL

For the price they are worth it.....for me. If some are not up to par they get a quick sharpen and it is good or tossed.
We have to remember until it was discovered they fit our rotaries, mostly men used them for the purpose they were intended. Cutting carpet has a lot more power behind it than we ever would use. I am sure they do not have quality control for every $.75 blade.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
did you by chance get a package of the (recycled) blades?
some shops recycle blades- they are deemed still usable for cutting carpet- which is what they sell them for- the carpet cutters allow alot more pressure to be put into the cut-so the blades are not necessarily that sharp. i think they do say on the package (recycled)
if that's the case you might be able to return them for new blades. depends on the store
I bought them online. I don't see "recycled" anywhere on the packaging
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
aahh Do you think there is a conspiricy against quilters by H F? Because of US they pobably have to hire more help to keep them on the shelves. LOL

For the price they are worth it.....for me. If some are not up to par they get a quick sharpen and it is good or tossed.
We have to remember until it was discovered they fit our rotaries, mostly men used them for the purpose they were intended. Cutting carpet has a lot more power behind it than we ever would use. I am sure they do not have quality control for every $.75 blade.
When I got the first blade that was dull (tons of pressure, wouldn't cut anything), I shrugged it off. $.75, exactly, no big deal. But when 4 in a row were dull, I got concerned
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM

I had a bad batch of blades that I ordered direct from United Notions awhile back. I guess it's possible no matter where they come from.