Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hard to find items across the pond? >

Hard to find items across the pond?

Hard to find items across the pond?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM

As a general rule I would say that everything quilt-related over here (England) is more expensive than in the States.

You also seem to have a lot more brick-and-mortar LQSs than we do.

As someone mentioned, if we do have sales here it is rare for notions to be marked down - so if you are looking for presents for someone in Europe that would be a good starting point!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Here in Poland, heat n bond, rotary cutters and blades, magazines and books about quilting, cotton batting (never seen it here--we have poly in many different weights).

One thing I'm learning the longer I'm here is that there is a lot more available--like thread on large spools--if you know where to look. The problem is getting someone to help you know where to look! Our choices of cottons is severely limited.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Years ago when I was selling fabric and notions to UK on ebay, I always used a wholesale price on customs forms even if I paid more myself, so the quilter in UK didn't have to pay as much in taxes. That did help them a little.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Maybe we need to develope pen pals for gift exchanges, send a birthday squisshie?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 PM

No kidding.... hehe I actually asked because of some of the swaps Im in and I'm sending gifts to someone who was not specific about what they'd like. So just trying to find something that they would like that would make it worth my shipping costs
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, life has altered my plans for retirement and we are on a very limited income now. I have had to stop sending secret pal international due to shipping prices. It would normally cost $11 to ship a package here in the states but cost 2 1/2 times that amount to send international. I am not real good at distance, but miles from Alabama to England are around 4,000 miles. Miles from Alabama to Alaska are around 3,000. Why is it 2 1/2 times more to ship to England?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
Hello all of you over in the European continent... I have a request.

Would you mind enlightening me what quilting things you desire that are not easily found across the pond as they are here in the USA?
Hi,Most things become available in time that are on sale in the U.S.A. Because of forums like this quilters here see them and put preasure on shops here to obtain items.The thing I would love to see are the garage sales !! You all seem to find wonderful bargains at them. It is also true that some of the best magazines seem to come from your side too.However now after many years of buying anything 'new' that comes along I am more careful, most cutting can be done with a simple straight ruler etc. and a 12'' square.I do love the friendliness and help from these forums though -- not so many here. Love Letty.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
As a general rule I would say that everything quilt-related over here (England) is more expensive than in the States.

You also seem to have a lot more brick-and-mortar LQSs than we do.

As someone mentioned, if we do have sales here it is rare for notions to be marked down - so if you are looking for presents for someone in Europe that would be a good starting point!!
There's a guy travelling across the U.S. with a ton (okay, a lot) of bacon, using it to barter for lodging, etc. on his trip. I'd love to try the same thing in Europe with quilting notions and fabric.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 AM

I have just received a purple thang in the secret swap. have never seen one in England and it is so useful. Thread is always a good thing to send as we pay a lot for cotton thread over here. I have just bought a lot from Connecting Threads (got someone to send them to me). Frixon pens, wonder clips these things although available are very expensive compared to your costs. As to postage, some of my secret pal packages are still sent priority which is very expensive and not necessary as standard post still arrives ok.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 AM

If you decide to do this you can certainly barter with me for board and lodgings!

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
There's a guy travelling across the U.S. with a ton (okay, a lot) of bacon, using it to barter for lodging, etc. on his trip. I'd love to try the same thing in Europe with quilting notions and fabric.